New Reef Coming Soon...

Jer_H

Hi all,

I'm glad to have found this forum! I'm in the process of setting up a new 60gal after an 8 year break. Although I'm downsizing from my previous 120gal, I'm still anxious to get going.

I can't believe how much has changed with LED lighting, and DC pumps, Herbie and Beananimal overflows. Lots of reading to do.

I'm located in the east end of Durham region in Bowmanville. Not sure if there are many local reefers around.

I'm aiming for a clean looking mixed reef. Most of my experience is with LPS but I'm hoping to try something new with this tank.

I'll probably be asking tons of questions so please bear with me!

Jeremy

Jer_H

My last setup had a beautiful custom oak stand myself and my buddy who is a contractor built. This time around, with two kids and a wife, free time is limited. More of a buyer this time. I've purchased a BubbleMagnus curve 9 skimmer(prob overkill), 5 stage RODI, two Kessil a160we with goosenecks, and a jaeboDC300 pump. I found a nice enough black stand which I'm hoping will hold a decent sump. I'll prob have NAFB built the tank and sump as I work nearby and used to make most of my purchases there. I just have to decide which overflow to go with. I'd prefer to do another external but with the room the tank is going in, I need it tight to the wall. Once the 30w gyre comes out I'm hoping to get one.

I think I'll end up with an internal overflow with 3 1" bulkheads in bottom. Two for Herbie and a return up through overflow.

What do you think? I'll be sure to post pics once I have something to show! Getting very excited.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
welcome to tft you will like it here. it sounds like your off to a great start.... try reading more about beananimal drain that seems to be where most members are happy lately with itbeing dead silent. as for everything else lots of members have buble magus, dc pumps and led plus someone got the gyre system recently..... ps lots of pics are extreamely wanted lol we all love eye candy

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Go with beananimal if possible. Truly is silent, and once set you don't have to mess with it again. I have a curve 7 on my 150. Works awesome! Your curve 9 could be overkill (most people say no such thing when it comes to skimmers), but at least you're set for a bigger tank in the future.

Jer_H

2.5 years later.......I guess it's time for an update!!

m0jlsUJh.jpg

zoomster

Welcome to the frag tank Jeremy!
That is a nice looking set up you have there!
There have been a lot of changes for sure but, if you need any advice, this is the place!

EZMac

Welcome, nice tank!!
I am new to the site also but have found it very helpful, also finding used equipment is great until buying something new.
Happy reefing.