New Tank Purchase

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Was going to build one out of plywood, would be 1/2 the price of buying a glass one but a lot of work I don't have time for or the desire to do since I'm up to my eyeballs in renos all the time.
Here's what I've got so far:
84 x 30 x 24H
3/4" glass
Starphire front only as it will be in wall
External overflow with 1 1/2" drains
Four 3/4" returns
Eurobraced with holes drilled for sea swirls
Polished edges
Black silicone

Anything I missed, any feedback welcome.

Josh

i dont suggest making tanks out of plywood they dont hold water very well :D

Mark092

I like the sounds of this! Get in touch if you need any help with the build. I think I would go with the exact same tank specs.
Have you considered any sort of closed loop system, or returns in bottom of the tank with returns that can be hidden amongst the rock?

dale

notched for the overflow?... i got black acrylic on the inside of the back glass and i really like it and it provides "teeth" for the overflow

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I like the sounds of this! Get in touch if you need any help with the build. I think I would go with the exact same tank specs.
Have you considered any sort of closed loop system, or returns in bottom of the tank with returns that can be hidden amongst the rock?
I am kicking it around but I think powerheads might be my best option, easy to move around and change up if needed.
Closed loop a solid idea. With an 84" it's hard to control flow. Lots more options with a closed loop.
I don't like the idea of all the holes and plumbing involved with a closed loop and power heads have come a long way these days, smaller more efficient, easy to maintain.
But I haven't ruled it out yet.

Nighthawk26

Not saying Not to use them bit getting flow mid tank isn't the easiest. Even with my 72" with mp40s they gotta be turned up a fair bit to hit mid tank and then they overpower everything on the ends. Having an open back is helpful but then you still need flow through the scape to front of tank.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Not saying Not to use them bit getting flow mid tank isn't the easiest. Even with my 72" with mp40s they gotta be turned up a fair bit to hit mid tank and then they overpower everything on the ends. Having an open back is helpful but then you still need flow through the scape to front of tank.

Tank will be in wall so powerheads can be placed on the back wall as well as the sides.

Nighthawk26

I hear you. that's why I mentioned you have that benefit but pending your scape (mine for example) flow front to back would not be great.