New To Marine - Old To Fresh

skyedale

Just bought my first marine tank. It is a Fluval M90 - 35 US gal. I started thinking about a marine tank ages ago and then scared myself off by reading lots of books with conflicting opinions.

The M90 was on sale for 25% of the original price so I decided to jump in the salty end of things. I know I need to go slow and take my time. My dilemma is whether to buy cured live rock or the Caribsea Life Rock.

I am in no rush, so any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Judith

heath

Distinguished Member
welcome to the frag tank.. great place with tons of experience and opinions...I would go with one piece of live rock, that will seed your tank and save you some $$$ to spend on livestock..
my rule of thumb; slow + steady = success, fast + furious = failure..

skyedale

welcome to the frag tank.. great place with tons of experience and opinions...I would go with one piece of live rock, that will seed your tank and save you some $$$ to spend on livestock..
my rule of thumb; slow + steady = success, fast + furious = failure..
Thanks for that suggestion. The thought of having to buy 45lbs of live rock was making my wallet hurt. If you start with one pice of live rock and use live argonite as a base how long do you think it will take to cycle? 4 weeks, 6 weeks - just asking because I am having knee surgery at the end of Oct and am wondering if I should start now or leave it until I am truly back on my feet. Once it cycles I was going to put a small hardy frag in it. Silly questions - frag’s first or fish first?

heath

Distinguished Member
I would start the tank before your knee surgery, let it cycle while you are recovering...What I would do is find some dried dead rock and add a piece of live rock and just let the tank cycle.. there is no set time to cycle a tank..as for adding frags or fish if would depend what you want to achieve with the tank..

heath

Distinguished Member
Not sure where you are located but, get in touch with unibob (Jerry), he has bean bags frags and I know that he gets some beautiful pieces of pukani rock in...
Sorry, I missed or never thought of another female on the site, there are so few of us on this site..

skyedale

Welcome, Judith! Nice to see a fellow female reefer!

Michelle
Funny I never thought of this hobby as gender related. Mind you I started as a construction site project manager over 35 years ago. I think that sort of makes me immune to gender specific things- lol. My friend next door has 3 marine tanks. She has been trying for years to get me over to the “dark side”.I will have to tell her about this site and get her to join.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome to the site. If you do need any rock, I would be more then happy to help.

45 lbs of pukani would qualify for free shipping, so your location is not an issue either :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk