New To Me Tank From A Friend. Keep Old Sand Or Get New?

TiZiK

Hey Reefers! Just Joined and have just acquired a new to me tank.

So a friend of mine, who has had salt water tanks for years and down sized to a 30G cube, just recently went back up to a 60G. I am inheriting his cube. His cube was running a long time and was a healthy tank. For his new 60G, he put new sand and new water. He took all the live rock from the cube and all the live stock as well, but has suggested to leave the old sand. Currently, I have no live stock. I want to make sure my water is good before that.

The old sand looks really dirty (and shitty) and has a lot of dead and broken shells etc and, to me, is very ugly looking. I like the look of his new tank with nice clean sand.

My question is, is he right in suggesting to keep the old sand to help cycle the new tank?

If so, will there be repercussions to doing a gravel clean later on?

Or, should I just use new sand since I will be waiting for a proper cycle to take place before adding live stock anyhow?

Just to add, I will be getting live rock shortly to add to the tank.

Winks

Website Affiliate
If it we me, I would get rid of the old substrate and put in new. Just mixing it up when you move it or put water into the tank will stir up all kinds of nasty stuff that might be lurking in the old substrate. JMHO

TiZiK

Thanks Wink. I'm at his house now (getting the tank set up before I bring home. Xmas gift for my little girl)
I did a gravel wash and a 30% water change so far.
You're right tho, alllll kinds of nasty dirt was pulled up.
I'll probably put new sand. My buddy is quite adamant about leaving it tho and he's hard headed. LoL

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I’d clean it , and out of the options , this is the best I found , tried it and loved it

TiZiK

Yes Luke. Same technique we used to clean the sand for his new tank.

His old sand that's in my tank has gotten a couple gravel washes (in tank with a gravel cleaner) and a couple water changes.

The tank will live at his place for another month or so and when we move it to my house, I'll give the sand a more thorough cleaning.

Just got a new test kit today do will test water parameters in the next day or so and see what's what.