New to Saltwater

RYOUNVS

Hey guys and gals,

As the title says, I'm somewhat new to the saltwater scene. I've had my tank going for a few months now. Ok... ok... I'm REALLY new to it still.

I'm still trying to piece together info on what I should and shouldn't be doing. To have a sump, or not to have a sump. Do I scrap my current non sump and get an overflow... or plug away with a fluval 304 and 405.

The last few days I've been looking and reading these posts and they have been an eye opener! Wow! There is so much to know to set up a good system. At this point I think I'd love to have a DT upstairs and a sump downstairs in the unfinished part of my basement.

Anyways, enough of my jabbering, I'm Jamie... looking forward to getting to know a bunch more people on here!

spyd

Super Active Member
Hello and welcome! A couple pointers. First off, ditch the Fluvals. They will do nothing but collect dietritus and become a nitrate factory. A sump is a fantastic idea. This way, you can hide all your equipment, run a quality skimmer and add more water volume to your system. Also, keep up with bi weekly (20%) and weekly (10%) water changes to reduce nitrates and phosphates.

If you are going to start a new setup, take your time and really think it through. Personally, i love having a basement sump as it takes the noise away and gives you some quality space to work in.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
What is your tank size?
What are you planning, fish only, mixed reef, or dominate reef?
Yes, ditch the canister, not going to cut it.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Hi jamie! Welcome to TFT!

Agreed, ditch the fluvals....if you want to run medias then use a reactor with pump....and this would require a sump. So do a sump! :)
Run all your media and skimmer in the sump...nice place to put the heaters too.....nice place to put everything really.

I'm going to tell you that there will be a lot of learning curves and you are going to have to do a lot of learning on your own....so start start reading and experimenting....I'm not trying to sound like a dbag....I'm just forewarning you that when you look at some of the other members tanks and the incredible reefs they have created in their own home that it takes a lot..... But have fun ok! :) remember that it is a hobby for a reason!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RYOUNVS

Thanks for the replies so far! I'm certainly willing to read and learn as much as I can. I'm patiently looking forward to having a beautiful tank that is the star of my home (apart from my wife and kids of course ;)

To answer  your questions Pistol:

I currently have a 55 gallon that has been running for a few months. I've figured out very quickly that this isn't going to be big enough. So I also have a 6' long 125 gallon aquarium. I've just filled it with saltwater and have put probably about 50 lbs of liverock to let it begin to cycle.

I would like to have some fish, liverock and a few anemones.

My 125 gallon tank is not drilled, is there another option to be able to have a sump without drilling it? I think I'm going to use the 55 gallon that I have set up now as a sump.

No worries on sounding like a Dbag Reef Hero, I'm a man that likes straight answers!

harleymike

Super Active Member
I would drill the tank or look for a drilled tank.
You can buy a overflow, but from what i have read they aren't very reliable.
Drilling is the best.
I started out with no sump, and within 6 months i had a drilled tank and sump.

dale

you can use hang on the back (hob) overflow boxes instead of emptying and getting your tank drilled,, i have them and they work great for me,, i would prefer to have mine drilled or a coast to coast overflow if i had the choice... as with most on here im sure...

Boga

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay here!

I've started with a 55g (not drilled) and Fluval 405 because I did not have room for a sump. After few months I added a sump on a side (as a compromise) with a DIY overflow. After a couple of years I upgraded to 125g, drilled on the main, with a bigger sump and refugium in the basement.

I would recommend (if you have the time and money) to have your tank drilled (or change it to a drilled one) and get the biggest sump that you can afford in terms of space (55 is good). I have my sump in the basement. I like it. The only thing that I don't like is the loss in flow. I am using a Mag 18 for now, and it looks that it is not enough for my system.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
ive met several people with working hob overflows that have been up and running for years without any issue, but doesnt take much to drill it, or find a drilled tank..

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Basement sump here As well.  I run a reeflo hammerhead return pump. 

Drilling glass is not difficult just takes some patience and a steady hand.:).

Check out my build thread.  I drilled my tank and sump with no issues, and have drilled about 10 other holes for people around Sarnia.

The basement sump is great but does add to the cost of the set up.

Hunniford19

RYOUNVS link said:
Hey guys and gals,

As the title says, I'm somewhat new to the saltwater scene. I've had my tank going for a few months now. Ok... ok... I'm REALLY new to it still.

I'm still trying to piece together info on what I should and shouldn't be doing. To have a sump, or not to have a sump. Do I scrap my current non sump and get an overflow... or plug away with a fluval 304 and 405.

The last few days I've been looking and reading these posts and they have been an eye opener! Wow! There is so much to know to set up a good system. At this point I think I'd love to have a DT upstairs and a sump downstairs in the unfinished part of my basement.

Anyways, enough of my jabbering, I'm Jamie... looking forward to getting to know a bunch more people on here!
Welcome to the forum tons of stuff to learn on this forum and amazing people :)

Jewel

Welcome to TFT Jamie. This is a great hobby but can be filled with ups and downs, Just be patient, Algea blooms happen to every one with every tank,It's just part of the hobby. I say that because that can be discouraging when you start but you'll get through it with help from all of us. :)  I've always had a sump and a drilled tank but I wouldn't discourage the HOB over flow they do work for a lot of people, Those canister filter are good for running floss or carbon but the thing is you've gotta check them often and clean the detritus out, Basement sumps are great and I found when I had mine that I spent more time down stairs fiddling and farting around. A real good way to start is FOWLR. You don't need expensive lights for the fish and you can upgrade later when you decide that you want Corals. It's a good way to learn about water quality and get you through the intial set backs of Salt water, That said. Remember have fun and don't worry about asking questions cause there's lots of helpful people here  Jim

DerekL

I too do not have a drilled tank I went with a LifeReef overflow and it has not once failed. It does not require a lift pump either. If you aren't comfortable with drilling your tank then really look into these overflows he has been making them for I believe over 20years now he is in the US but I had my overflow within a week of ordering. Anyways welcome to the forum you will meet a bunch of great people here.

RYOUNVS

DerekL link said:
I too do not have a drilled tank I went with a LifeReef overflow and it has not once failed. It does not require a lift pump either. If you aren't comfortable with drilling your tank then really look into these overflows he has been making them for I believe over 20years now he is in the US but I had my overflow within a week of ordering. Anyways welcome to the forum you will meet a bunch of great people here.

I quickly googled LifeReef and it comes up with prefilter box. Is that what you are using? When you say that it doesn't require a lift pump.... do you mean you don't need to pump it back to the tank? If so how do you manage that?

Thanks for all of the welcomes! I look forward to getting to know you all!

DerekL

Yes Jeff at life reef calls them pre filter boxes not sure why. When I said lift pump some external overflows use a pump to keep the siphon in the u tube. If you email Jeff at LifeReef he will be more then happy to talk and answer any questions. The night I emailed him it was almost midnight he won't just sell you an overflow to make the money he will take the time to ensure you order what you need for your specific tank and needs. I unplug my return pump once a week to do water changes and never once have I had my overflow not start back up. I think what the one person was concerned with about external overflows is that if the siphon in the u tube is broken when the pump comes back on your overflow won't start and your tank will overflow.  With the life reef overflow design you don't lose siphon in the u tube with the way it is designed. There is even videos on you tube showing these overflows and how they always start back up. Yes you will need a return pump from your sump to pump water back up to tank. The life reef overflows may be a bit more then eshopps or aqueons overflows but you will have that piece of mind and I personally didn't want to rely on a pump to ensure my overflow worked properly.