New To Sw, But Not Fish Keeping.

PapaBigArms

Website
www.donald-armstrong.com
Sup all.

I am in the planning stages of setting up a SW tank for a porcupine puffer. What is the bare min i can get away with for equipment?. not a cheap person, just looking for simple. I know i need to mix salt in the water, and some live sand, do i need live rock?, I don't need a protein skimmer or sump do i?

I have been keeping FW puffers for the better part of 20 years, looking to cross over into SW, as PP have always been a dream puffer to own.

I know this is real noob questions, but they are species specific.

Thanks

Don

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Rule #1 Do everything slow
Rule #2 Never compare a salt water set up to fresh water set up. They are NOT the same.

LoL

On a plus side you are looking to do a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) system. So you can skip most of the expensive stuff if you want. You will want to run a protein skimmer to keep the water clean, highly recommend a sump set up. Most salt water set ups rely on bio filtration through the rock. That puffer is easy to care for, but should be in a larger tank. They can grow to a foot long. They also eat a lot and make a lot of waste, hence the protein skimmer, but you will have to keep on top of water changes as well. A best practice for this fish would be 100 gallon tank with sump, over rated skimmer, large refugium and probably 20% weekly water changes.

PapaBigArms

Website
www.donald-armstrong.com
Rule #1 Do everything slow
Rule #2 Never compare a salt water set up to fresh water set up. They are NOT the same.

LoL

On a plus side you are looking to do a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) system. So you can skip most of the expensive stuff if you want. You will want to run a protein skimmer to keep the water clean, highly recommend a sump set up. Most salt water set ups rely on bio filtration through the rock. That puffer is easy to care for, but should be in a larger tank. They can grow to a foot long. They also eat a lot and make a lot of waste, hence the protein skimmer, but you will have to keep on top of water changes as well. A best practice for this fish would be 100 gallon tank with sump, over rated skimmer, large refugium and probably 20% weekly water changes.

The typical care of a puffer i am XP with, it's the need for equipment for the SW setup, i would never assume to think SW and FW are anywhere close to the same. So i was planning at boxing day to pick up a 180 from Bigals, and anything else i would need. and i so plan on going slow. and yes it would be a FOWLR setup.. i may add some other fish later, but the main attraction would be the PP.. Thanks for all the great info. :)

Don

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
A 180 build would be awesome. Merging it to what would be considered a preditor tank would be fun too. Keep in mind that most of the threads here are related to keeping a mixed reef tank instead of a FOWLR. There are a lot of other chemicals and maintenance you can use that a mixed reef cant. Your most expensive thing will be the tank and skimmer. You won't need fancy expensive lighting or special circulation pumps.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PapaBigArms

Website
www.donald-armstrong.com
A 180 build would be awesome. Merging it to what would be considered a preditor tank would be fun too. Keep in mind that most of the threads here are related to keeping a mixed reef tank instead of a FOWLR. There are a lot of other chemicals and maintenance you can use that a mixed reef cant. Your most expensive thing will be the tank and skimmer. You won't need fancy expensive lighting or special circulation pumps.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

It's more so easy of maintenance, i am pretty busy, having something i only need to put a hours a week into would be nice.. I only have one other tank right now.. but i do plan on having more once we move next year, and i build my Studio/Fish room. :)

EZMac

Make sure you do a bit of research on cycling your tank. I also was into freshwater breeding for a long time.
There is a lot to learn when switching.
If you are going to add a nice bit of rock you can go with live rock or you will have to cure rock yourelf. Not as simple as setting up fresh. Takes time to get perimeters where you need before adding anything to tank.
Good luck with everything. This is a great place for questions,(if your unsure there are no stupid questions) people here care about there fish and coral, they wont steer ya wrong.
Cheers.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
IMO, getting a system with a sump makes things easier to maintenance and also clears the DT from unwanted equipment. Like your skimmer and heaters.

This would be the beginning list I personally would go with;
180gal Tank w/Overflows
Largest sump you can fit
Over sized skimmer 250gal+(IMO skimmers are a must for a predator system as the fish generally get very lg and they produce a very lg amount of waste.)
Return pump(Depending on location of sump. If it's below the tank, I'd say minimum 1500gph)
Couple of power heads(2minimum at 1000gph each)
2x 300w heaters

That should get ya started.

Like Torx said, lighting doesn't need to be very intense lighting.

As for live rock. I'd suggest starting with some dry rock and save your money on the live rock.

PapaBigArms

Website
www.donald-armstrong.com
I have decided to start with a 25 gallon cube tank i have here already, that way i can learn on something small, and i can also use it to cure some rock, and have some media to help cycle the bigger tank, I have been reading a ton and watching a ton of vids.. this site has already been very helpful :)

PapaBigArms

Website
www.donald-armstrong.com
Thanks for the link, i will save it for viewing later. Unfortunately, due to lack of money, i am gonna have to put the SW tank on hold.. Still looking for full time work after graduation. being 45 isn't making my search any easier LOL!.

But it'll happen someday :)