New To This Side Of The Hobby!

Matthew Dumouchel

Website
www.liveinwindsor.com
Hello from Windsor!

After several years of keeping freshwater tanks the idea of starting a reef tank began to itch away at me. I have not ventured into this realm of the hobby, but I am excited to learn and I am excited to grow as a hobbiest.

Call me crazy, but after several weeks and countless hours of research, both through conversations with local aquarists, and the digesting the vast knowledge the internet can throw at you, I have challenged myself to tackle the Nano Reef setup. I've gone ahead and purchased a 20L and my Rock, which is currently curing. So I'm off and running, well mildly running and more like skipping...patience is after all a virtue!

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome aboard tft. This is the best site around .... many great members here with a vast knowledge base.... no stupid questions here. Great place to learn!!!

SamB

Super Active Member
Welcome to this great forum with great knowledgeable members
Let the insanity begin !!

Josh

Welcome!
Wish i found this before i got my tank would have probably saved me a few hundred.
I started a nano back in july, let me offer you 1 piece of advise from 1 newbie to another!
Do not panic. Your tank is going to algae bomb out the ass. Brace for it and figure out why. Good set of testing equipment goes a long ways.

Good luck!!

J

Josh

Welcome, lots of good reference people here, and most importantly, we don't take $$$ from stores or advertisers, so you get "the real skinny" here. Enjoy your stay, and enjoy the hobby (it's waaaaaay better than freshwater but also waaaaaaaay harder!).
So true...
Though i do find it easier to grow coral than it is to grow a planted tank.....

heath

Distinguished Member
welcome, this hobby is awesome but, challenging at the same time.. don't get discouraged...the rewards far out weight the challenges..

Matthew Dumouchel

Website
www.liveinwindsor.com
Day 4 and I got some Ammonia kicking in! Very happy to know that the cycle has begun :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.39.30 PM.png

Matthew Dumouchel

Website
www.liveinwindsor.com
IMG_1466.JPG As day 10 rolls in and my Ammonia and nitrite spikes have come and gone I decided to ghost feed. I am intrigued to see what this does to the bacteria levels.

We have some diatom bloom happening as well.

Last edited:

Falcon

Hello I'm new to this side of the hobby too but have been keeping fresh water for years.

How is your cycle coming?