mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
Hello..I'm new the salt water aquarium scene. I just acquired a 90 gal reef tank 2 days ago so i'mtrying to learn quickly how to keep my setup alive and healthy. So far I love it however getting a little stressed because I think my tank has some issues already. Monizb steered me to this forum so i'm here to meet some ppl. and learn something.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome to the forum. Let us know what problems you are having and will steer you in the right direction as a group :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monizb

Super Active Member
Welcome ;) u will learn lots from some great reefers on this site and yes his tanks from the auction and he's dealing with some high nitrates :( water change for sure and keep one eye on and do water change once a week until u can control it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewel

It all part of the Hobby, You will have issues, everybody does. Just be patient and listen to the mistakes we.ve made and believe me things take time. Corrective action takes time to sort out the problems and stabilize your tank.  Welcome to TFT

mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
I'm behind on my water changes as I had to go out of town for 7 days.. I did 2 large water changes before I left. I came back to a lot of algae growing on my rocks and in my sump tank. Monizb suggested less light so I'll time that back a bit.. Can the algae be scrubbed off the rock? If I do that would I use salt water in a tote and scrub w a toothbrush? Can I rinse with fresh water? Nitrates are still high but not quite as dark red as it was. ..probably still over 100.  Skimmer was overflowing so that wasn't doing any good.
So I'll do a large water change tonite and I guess keep doing that every few days..
Reefkeeper 420 mentioned biopellets.. is that something I should use to get the nitrates down or whats that for?
Thanks again for all the help....

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
You could start dosing vinegar or vodka(carbon source) will reduce nitrate and phosphate and is cheap and easy, you probably have one or both in the house.
must be done properly so here is an article about it.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Jewel

When you do a water change, Take what rocks you can out and scrub them in the dirty water before discarding, Rinse in the same water and put them back in the tank, Dosing vodka, Vinagar or Bio-pellets all the same, There's also a product called Nitra Guard, Read up on it. Probably the easiest way to introduce a Carbon source to your tank, No special equipment needed. Continue doing water changes and believe it or not leaving the tank idle helps it mature. Reduce the lighting period for sure and be patient, HTH

mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
Great tips guys and much appreciated.. I do have a 30 G sump and have been buying RO water at my local water island store until I get set up with a RODI setup. My skimmer seems to work ok as long as I keep it clean inside... once it gets a scum on the inner tube it doesn't foam like it should. I will replace it eventually. Nitrate levels have been dropping so that's a good thing.
I briefly read the article an dosing with vinegar and will research that more in depth.
Thanks again