Nicks 220g Big Boy Build

Nick James

I "fixed" the manifold and put a new plug on. Sanded the hell out of it, primed both plug and hole generously, slopped on grey pvc cement.. now it leaks in other spots it wasn't leaking before.

I shut off the manifold with the handy ball valve so I can just run the return pump. This line seems to be just fine now. I turned up the power and dialed in my bean animal overflow to where it needs to be to create the siphon and trickle. Then the siphon line started leaking.. so eff this, I'm taking a nap

shamous113

I "fixed" the manifold and put a new plug on. Sanded the hell out of it, primed both plug and hole generously, slopped on grey pvc cement.. now it leaks in other spots it wasn't leaking before.

I shut off the manifold with the handy ball valve so I can just run the return pump. This line seems to be just fine now. I turned up the power and dialed in my bean animal overflow to where it needs to be to create the siphon and trickle. Then the siphon line started leaking.. so eff this, I'm taking a nap
What brand of glue are you using?

Nick James

What brand of glue are you using?

Oatey. I did not use primer initially when I put it all together. I am guessing this was my downfall. I'm going to have to see what I can salvage and redo it. This really sucks, and I hope I can get the pipe out of the gate valves since those things aren't cheap..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If they are small leaks and the pipe is secure, then just touch up with glue like you mentioned. If you used the correct glue you will never get anything apart. What adhesive are you using?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Nick James

If they are small leaks and the pipe is secure, then just touch up with glue like you mentioned. If you used the correct glue you will never get anything apart. What adhesive are you using?

I might try this on the siphon drain first to see if it works. I used Oatey pvc cement however I didn't use primer. I didn't know better unfortunately. Any drains, overflows in the past I simply glued and never had issues. I also never ran a bean animal or had much back pressure so that could be why I didn't have issues before..

shamous113

Just curious, why do you need to use primer before glue?
I was thinking the same. I have never used primer.

I was told that It's to remove the oils and dirt from manufacturing and storage, and to soften the PVC so when you apply the "glue" it will cause the 2 pieces to combine on a molecular level so the 2 are now 1

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I was told that It's to remove the oils and dirt from manufacturing and storage, and to soften the PVC so when you apply the "glue" it will cause the 2 pieces to combine on a molecular level so the 2 are now 1
Oh you are correct. I just never have myself. The same reaction happens without the primer. Cleaning is the better choice obviously

Nick James

Knock on wood... I repaired my leaky plumbing and the tank has been running for 15 hours leak free. It looks ugly but I used primer on each joint, made a "collar" out of flexible pvc and cemented the hell out of each joint so the joint is now covered with a pvc bandaid, hopefully fused to each side of the joint. Not recommended by anyone, but I read of someone else doing this successfully so I tried it. This is just for the manifold as it would cost $150 to build a new one..

I stopped and restarted everything to make sure the sump holds the overflow and everything seems good to go..

Nick James

2QaCYOC.jpg

Sands in..

Nick James

I added some ceriths and trochus snails today. I'm concerned they have nothing to eat and will probably have to feed them algae wafers until there is more food for them. I have two guests currently in QT.. this is my first attempt at QT so wish me luck.

Nick James

Are you medicating during QT?

Yes.. I went to Buffalo and picked up API General Cure. Apparently it is no longer available here, I wanted to order some but Hussain Baig from Aquarium Depot said they are no longer allowed to sell it for some reason. I will treat them with this, then coppersafe. So, in about a month and a half, my first fish will be in. Sounds a bit over the top, but I plan to do this with every new fish.

Any input on this QT regiment is definitely welcome.

EZMac

I was just reading a few posts,
Your tank sounds fairly similar to my setup, my sump is in the room behind my tank. Nice for doing any messing around. Also there was some talk about wrasse's, in my tank i have a leopard wrasse, a blue fairy wrasse and a melanarus wrasse. All are fine with my inverts. So far!! Benn altogether in my tank close to 6 months without and notice of missing snails crabs n such. I also have 8 different tangs in my tank. 2 things i would say is keep them well fed with lots of nori or bok choi, i use sometimes. Keeps the aggression down no competition for food. Also dont get them the same size if you can. The fish that look closest to one another generally dont like each other.
Good luck on your build.

shamous113

Yes.. I went to Buffalo and picked up API General Cure. Apparently it is no longer available here, I wanted to order some but Hussain Baig from Aquarium Depot said they are no longer allowed to sell it for some reason. I will treat them with this, then coppersafe. So, in about a month and a half, my first fish will be in. Sounds a bit over the top, but I plan to do this with every new fish.

Any input on this QT regiment is definitely welcome.
It doesn't sound over the top. every fish I have in my display have gone thru QT. Good to know about the general cure, I'll have to replenish my stock at some point. instead of coppersafe you can use Chloroquine phosphate (new life spectrum ich sheild powder) for 21 days. cp is a single dose, and is great because you can go from zero to full therapeutic all in one dose, without negatively affecting the fish. This is not the case with copper, as some fish can be overly sensitive to it and sometimes stop eating or even die. The only time you need to add any cp to the qt is when you do a water change to make up what your removing.

Nick James

It doesn't sound over the top. every fish I have in my display have gone thru QT. Good to know about the general cure, I'll have to replenish my stock at some point. instead of coppersafe you can use Chloroquine phosphate (new life spectrum ich sheild powder) for 21 days. cp is a single dose, and is great because you can go from zero to full therapeutic all in one dose, without negatively affecting the fish. This is not the case with copper, as some fish can be overly sensitive to it and sometimes stop eating or even die. The only time you need to add any cp to the qt is when you do a water change to make up what your removing.

I thought CP required a prescription, I'll have to look into the powder you mentioned. I have read that CP should not be used on wrasses. Coppersafe seems to be safe for nearly all types of fish. It is chelates copper as opposed to cupramine which is charged ionic copper. I don't know the difference but I've followed "Humblefish" on R2R to learn most of what I know now as far as medications go.

shamous113

I thought CP required a prescription, I'll have to look into the powder you mentioned. I have read that CP should not be used on wrasses. Coppersafe seems to be safe for nearly all types of fish. It is chelates copper as opposed to cupramine which is charged ionic copper. I don't know the difference but I've followed "Humblefish" on R2R to learn most of what I know now as far as medications go.
its main use is to treat malaria, but people have found that it treats Ich, Marine Velvet although there is anecdotal evidence that it will treat brook and uronema. I have read that about wrasses as well. here are some good threads on reef central.

Chloroquine Primer
Ich and how to get rid of it using Chloroquine Phosphate
My journey using Chloroquine Phosphate begins.

Nick James

I haven't updated in a while so here goes...

I had two gobies in QT.. a very small Suntail and a very large pink and blue spot goby. Overnight the small one was gone.. vanished, no corpse anywhere. Big guy was still in the tank and appeared fine. A day later big guy was belly up... not sure what happened.. the tank was seeded with bacteria, had an ammonia badge reading that things were fine in that regard.. I think the big guy ate the small guy and maybe died as a result?

Anyways.. slow motion forward to about a month ago.. I bought a large Male Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse.

EhSZZoH.jpg

I had him in QT about 30 days. I did not medicate, just observed and this guy was healthy and fat.

I got 3 marsaquas for Christmas and built my canopy.

RvIgLLT.jpg

And over the last few days I have been moving stuff into the 220.

U1iCya1.jpg

W9yPc0m.jpg

cVG6Tne.jpg

bXStjaS.jpg

Today I hope to catch my blennies and leopard wrasse to move them over, and the last of the corals and rock.

I had one newer pink milli mini colony I just picked up rtn after I moved it over. Hoping a few polyps hang on. Most of my acros were already browning out due to the neglect of the biocube over the past month and a half. I'm hoping in the 220 everything bounces back.

I still need to skin, paint and do the finish trim.