Nitrate Problem

nelson

Hello all,

I need some help with a nitrate problem I have. So here is the story. Last week I found out I had a marine velvet in my tank. So Sunday the 14th, I ripped my tank apart to remove the fish and put them into a QT that I just set-up (in future I will use this for new fish so I don't have to go through this again). Anyways, I checked all my levels and noticed my nitrates were super high (which I admit is my fault as I had not been doing routine water changes, life was busy it kept getting put off, again won't make that mistake again). So but I didn't want to shock my corals too much. I did a 20% water change that day. Two days later did anther 10%, two days later did another 10%. So within 6 days I did a 40% water change. My nitrate levels were still elevated but had come down considerably (at this point my nitrates are probably 20ppm). I didn't check the levels for about a week. Did a 10% water change yesterday. Checked my levels tonight and they are back up around 80ppm. But what I don't understand is WHY. I do not have any fish in the tank as I am dealing with the marine velvet. The only food that gets put into the tank is spot feeding of shrimp to my serpent and brittle stars as well as my LTA and a few corals. This gets down a 2-3 times a week. And phytoplankton gets added to the water about once a week if that. I do have a LOT of little snails in my tank, my snails keep having little ones, my best guess is around 200 little snails. I do not know if this is causing it. I am looking for advise on how to fix this problem and keep it fixed.

Specs about my tank that might be helpful. I have a 120 gallon mixed reef tank (currently fishless), prior to the velvet I had 8 fish in the tank biggest one was about 4-5in across. That is hooked up via an external overflow to a 23 gallon sump. I have a protein skimmer running in it. I am currently testing with an API reef test kit. I have just ordered Red Sea test kits. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0. pH is sitting around 8-8.2. Calcium is 450, KH is 11-12.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advise.

Nelson

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Sounds like the no3 is trapped in the rocks and/or substrate.
best course of action is to begin a regular routine of water changes, coupled with the use of gfo in a reactor until you get things under control. At this point wc's alone will not help your case. You'll need gfo to continually remove the no3 as it is released from your rocks or substrate

Josh

Pretty sure EricTMah is right and that during all the confusion you unearthed a lot of nitrates stuck in bubble form in sand/rock etc etc. I bet you anything it will stabilize if you do a few 10% water changes every couple days. Otherwise try some NO3/PO4 Remover by Redsea. The marine bactoballs by fauna are being test run by a few of us and so far everyones been happy, they reduce waste which in turn will reduce nitrates.
Also possible whatever you are using to treat the velvet caused a die off on your liverock as well.

I bet you anything your problem will go away with a bit of time however.

Good luck!

nelson

EricTMah - My po4 is not as high as you might think, it is slightly elevated at 1.0ppm. I am prepping for a 10% water change today just getting the water up to temp and the right salinity. I have been adding the red sea no3/po4 reducer since last week. I am fairly new to saltwater so I do not really know what a GFO reactor is or where to get one. I also do not know where to get a nitrate reactor. Are they just a general reactor with specific contents. In regards to nitrate sponge what are you referring to there?

Josh - I was using polyp labs reef medic to start with until the fish started dying and then I removed all the fish in placed them in a separate QT with copper treatment. So there has been no treatment in the tank since last week. Just for a reference point any idea of how long it should take to resolve this issue.

Josh

im reasonably new to the hobby still however 1ppm of phosphates seems high to me

GFO reactor is just any old reactor (basically a piped filter) where you house GFO (looks like rust) it binds the phosphates to it, and then you manually change the GFO and it lowers your phosphates. Anything past that you will need to talk to salty, hes GFO king.