Nonuser's 60 Gallon Starphire Cube

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Okay so I did it.
I didn't do it alone, I have some good guys that supplied the muscle to help this plan come together.

But here it is
IMG_20160117_184409584_HDR.jpg

Now I need to start piecing all the parts together.

I need almost everything ;)

I have a tank the plumbing and a sump.

I'm not to crazy about the stand. if I am going to replace it the time is now.

I have the light and powerheads, new heater,Tunze ATO and reactor for Carbon.

I'll need Rock, Skimmer, pump

or just get an Oscar lol

Edit: Partially Quartapound's fault, with that damn sexy 45 cube that he refused to sell me!

Last edited:

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Looks good man. Can't wait to see it filled. I'll have some nice rock coming shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Stand is press board. not furniture quality. I figure if I am going to put a couple thousand dollars into the setup then why not do it right?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Return pump, I have either option, it's ready for external what's recommendation?
Internal/external
Looking for Quiet, powerful, durable and best bang for my buck?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
So internal is the best? I was told by a very knowledgeable Member this so I shouldn't question it. But I was watching a UTube video and it said external last 10 years and they don't add heat to the tank like the internal ones?

Kyle1970

I think it's personal choice.
I understand that thought with smaller tanks but I think 60g is safe with 1 pump producing some heat.
Do you have room to put an exterior pump into the stand?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
no currently the sump is plumbed for external and it sticks out 6 inches from the side of the stand. So internal. I just want to get the correct one so I don't end up having to purchase another one. Plus the setup will be right beside me in the TV room so I would like it as silent as possible.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
So internal is the best? I was told by a very knowledgeable Member this so I shouldn't question it. But I was watching a UTube video and it said external last 10 years and they don't add heat to the tank like the internal ones?
If heat is going to be an issue (no AC in the house or you're planning on running big halides on a small tank...lol) then external will help. For a small tank with sump under the stand there is no real justification for external return pumps anymore. They are still the choice for large systems, basement sumps etc. For your size system I would be asking for feedback from the DC pump owners. In lower head applications they should offer silence, controllable operation and efficient power use. The trade off with DC pumps is usually longevity, but in lower stress applications it shouldn't be an issue in normal aquarium lifespans.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Thanks,

The previous owner had a Sicce and said some mumbo jumbo about 500 GPH after head high I was like sure, yep.

From where the pump will be to the where it will be returned to the tank is like 5 ft 5 inches approx. I'm 6 ft tall and will have to stand on a ladder to do anything close to the bottom of the tank. I also suffer from T-Rex arms so that also is a concern lol

benzzzz

Did you consider Eheim pumps? I have had a 1260 for 9 years and only changed ceramic shaft once due to dropping g it from cleaning. It easy pumps 400+ g up 4 feet and is dead quiet, hot hot and energy efficient. Just my 0.02

Gonna tag along on your build

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
no currently the sump is plumbed for external and it sticks out 6 inches from the side of the stand. So internal. I just want to get the correct one so I don't end up having to purchase another one. Plus the setup will be right beside me in the TV room so I would like it as silent as possible.

I prefer the internal pump, keeps everything neat and tidy..both of my tanks are in my livingroom, one beside my couch and the other roughly 6 ft away, both are dead quiet until I need to top up the water..my place is warm and my heaters very seldom come on, I run my tanks at 78 degrees...
if there is a little noise, the sound of water is soothing...

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I'm Considering every option out there. I am new to the sump game(virgin) I want a return pump that is going to last and able to upgrade if I ever need to or add reactors, etc...

davesolo29

Super Active Member
So would need a Reef Octopus Water Blaster 3000? why so expensive? what advantages does it have over other return pumps?
I'm not sure which other pumps you are comparing prices to, so I can't really say why it's expensive.
All I can say is that they are amazing pumps. Run quiet. Easy to clean. And you can't beat coralvue when it comes to customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk