Our progress from then to now

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Over the years, we have come a long way with our tanks and our knowledge of saltwater.  Our very first tank was a 25 gallon freshwater which we then upgraded to a 65 gallon bowfront freshwater.
Freshwater-tank_zps1dd1458d.jpg

Our first foray into saltwater was a 35 gallon tall hexagon tank which I purchased exclusively for seahorses. I had always wanted seahorses and decided that the only saltwater tank I would have is my seahorse tank because I wasn't interested in anything else.  My first seahorses were H. Kuda.  Here is a pic of the tank with the H. Kuda in it. (very tiny seahorses located near the bottom of the tank)

IMG00068-20110131-1942_zps49c90c12.jpg

After poor luck with these little seahorses, I purchased a 90 gallon corner tank to house the various corals and saltwater fish I had become interested in while waiting for new seahorses.  (Little did I know that this would be the first extra tank and upgrade!) I had by then learned not to keep seahorses with any other fish so I decided to dismantle the 35 gallon, sterilize it and begin again with True captive bred seahorses.  Here is the 90 gallon we purchased and the setup in the basement where I relocated everything. I won't go into the building of these bases and tanks as it is in my previous thread.  I changed the décor in the Hex as I found that it was much easier to keep clean if it was a bare bottom tank.

Aquariums-with-finished-cab_zps65011867.jpg

New-tank1_zpsd441b164.jpg

This lasted me quite well and I was able to develop a love of coral and other marine fish but my seahorses were still my favorites.  I managed to find some H. Erectus that were True Captive Bred and they were very healthy and began to breed.  I then decided that the seahorses were cramped in the 35 gallon tall hex and purchased a 60 gallon cube for them. I built a stand for the cube and put it where the hex used to be.  The seahorses loved the new décor in the 60 gallon.

new-aquarium-60-gal_zps2e2fdacd.jpg

Feb-2-Enjoying-the-new-deco_zps32a7798d.jpg

I then built a fry system to raise the numerous fry that Jack (my seahorse) had like clockwork.  Unfortunately, ever since I put the seahorses into the 60 gallon, which was 6" shorter than the hex, Jack stopped having babies.  The girls produced eggs faithfully every 2 weeks but they weren't able to complete a proper transfer which they do in a vertical swim.  So there my fry tanks sit with nothing in it.  :(

DSC04026_zps9ae3772c.jpg

Enter Dave - He decides that after watching me enjoy my reef tank and the seahorses, he would have a tank with a Snowflake Eel. Now for a new tank, a 75 gallon tank with 10 gallon refugium.  :)

Daves-predator-tank1_zps54ca3f60.jpg

Meanwhile my reef tank was beginning to look good with some nice corals filling in.

01Jan-30-Pic-from-around-tank_zps84d7fe82.jpg

You'd think we'd be satisfied with all of these tanks, but no....I saw a deal on Kijiji which sparked a whole flurry of purchases.  I decided to purchase a 160 gallon tall tank for my seahorses and rearrange my other tanks.  The Hex would be brought back into service as my freshwater tank, the Reef system would move upstairs into the 65 gallon Bowfront tank and the 160 gallon would move into the spot where my two tanks used to be in the basement.  First, I started with the freshwater tank.  I built a raised platform for the castle so that more of the vertical space was used in the tank.  I then fitted my canister filter to the hex tank with a few extra fittings.  Here is the new freshwater tank.

DSC04152_zpsd7cfc649.jpg

DSC04157_zpsfd2587ff.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the Reef tank.  I had to thoroughly clean and sterilize the bowfront tank before starting it as a saltwater tank.  I drilled two 1" holes through the wall into the front hall where the refugium/sump would sit and I had to change the plumbing to accommodate the refugium/sump and the return pump.  I purchased new sand and made fresh saltwater for the tank.  Once the sand settled, I began to move everything. First the sump came upstairs and was placed in position with the live rock.  The coral encrusted rock took two days to move and "glue" into position.  The fish made the move on day three.  It was quite the gruelling work but OH, so satisfying.  :)  I began to build a stand to go around the sump/refugium that will eventually be covered in Oak and finished to match other furniture upstairs.

DSC04138_zps0e7c5842.jpg

DSC04140_zps1a97c035.jpg

DSC04159_zpsa4d666c5.jpg

Everything made the move well and I have been testing the water parameters daily for signs of a cycle.  I also added some bacteria culture daily in case a cycle starts and to hopefully minimize a cycle.  So far Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 10.  It has been just over a week since the move.

Next came the seahorses.  I moved them into a 55 gallon tank that I am going to use for their sump and emptied their tank.  I moved both the 90 gallon corner tank and the 60 gallon cube out of the way (thank heaven I put felt sliders on them!), and moved the 160 gallon into place.  I cleaned each of the previous tanks and began to fill the 160.  Tonight I finished filling the tank and hooked up the plumbing.  Tomorrow, after the saltwater has finished equalizing to the same temperature the seahorses are at, I will move them into their new home.  This is them enjoying their section of the sump, then a pic of the new tank.

DSC04134_zps0e1dadda.jpg

DSC04137_zpsd696d660.jpg

I will also build an oak skin for the new tank.  Today I started working on finishing the stand for the front hall and learned how to drill a tank.  I put a top on the stand and glued on tile to be where the 20 gallon Pipe fish tank will sit.  After practising on a broken tank, I started to drill my new 20 gallon...

DSC04168_zps80fb2a3c.jpg

Practice hole #1:  Cracked the glass upwards right at the end of drilling and etched the glass  :mad:

DSC04164_zpsa4d17b22.jpg

Practice hole #2:  Drilled great but had chip on inside of tank  :(

DSC04163_zpsb7db210c.jpg

Practice hole #3:  Success!  ;D

DSC04162_zpsf38f4cda.jpg

2 hours and 1 beer later I have two beautiful, smooth holes drilled in my tank.  ;D

DSC04167_zpsca9d46e7.jpg

DSC04192_zps0f433d00.jpg

That's it for now.  I will keep you posted as we continue with the tank renovations and will introduce Dave's new 220 gallon tank for his Eel and other fish soon.  So far, it has been quite a journey that started with one seahorse tank and has blossomed into multiple tanks, each larger than the last.  Does it ever end?  I hope so because I just can't see getting anything bigger than our new tanks.  I am hoping that now the seahorses have a tall tank back again, I will see babies once again and a whole new learning curve begins.  ;D

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Nice job Yvette, lots of work! you've been busy ! can't wait to see the seahorses in their new habitat!
good luck ! hope it goes as smoothly as the other moves !

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Some pics from around the 65 gallon reef now that the corals and fish have settled in:

DSC04191_zps68fdca9f.jpg

DSC04171_zpsf51e7ddc.jpg

DSC04175-color-corrected_zps81a62efe.jpg

DSC04176_zpse8af3880.jpg

DSC04178_zps58c6df85.jpg

DSC04182_zpsc5a66f1a.jpg

DSC04184_zpsfff96082.jpg

Snape checking out his new home - this is his fourth move and hopefully his last  :)
DSC04190_zps7ac33556.jpg

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thanks everyone.  Today I finished the seahorse tank and put them into it.  They are not quite sure what to do with all the space but I think they'll like it.  My hope is to raise some babies and put more seahorses into the tank.  With a tank this size, I could put 9 pairs of seahorses in there.  It will look stunning if I could get that many seahorses! 

DSC04195_zpsf05fa657.jpg

All afternoon I worked on the stand I am making.  I trimmed off 1/4" x 3 1/2" from underside of my oak edges for the top using a Dado blade.  Then I routered the outside edges.  It doesn't look like I accomplished much on the stand but it took a long time.  Tomorrow night I might work on the sides.  For now, I'm beat and need to rest before work tomorrow. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Love that orange branchy thing, I think Sealife sells them and I started looking into them, definitely a nice change in a tank. For the life of me I can not think of the name of them though.

A

adam robinson

Thank you for sharing can't wait to see the see horses Breed for you

Giglio324

Torx link said:
Love that orange branchy thing, I think Sealife sells them and I started looking into them, definitely a nice change in a tank. For the life of me I can not think of the name of them though.
Is it a type of gorgonian? And for some reason I think they are nps I could be dead wrong tho. On both of those facts lol.
Thanks are looking great btw. Great job!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Giglio324 link said:
[quote author=Torx link=topic=5299.msg50041#msg50041 date=1367798871]
Is it a type of gorgonian? And for some reason I think they are nps I could be dead wrong tho. On both of those facts lol.
Thanks are looking great btw. Great job!
[/quote]

No, you are right.  It is a Yellow Finger Gorgonian and has done a great job in my aquarium. It was one of the first pieces of corals I bought back when I had the first seahorses because I was told the seahorses love hitching on them.  Unfortunately, although the seahorses loved it, they didn't like being hitched on so they made the move to the reef tank once I got it setup.  It is Non photosynthetic and eats Cyclopsese.  I don't specifically target feed it but it catches the food quite easily.  It needs an area of high flow to keep it clear of algae.  I also have to take them out of the tank every now and then and clean all of the algae and waste off of it or it would smother itself.  Although the literature says the polyps extend mostly at night, mine both extend during the day (and probably at night too).

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
It has been a busy month since I started this post.  In the time since I posted last there have been quite a few changes.  After putting the seahorses in their new tank I turned my attention back to building the cabinet to hide the sump for the Reef Tank in the upstairs front hall.  Here are some pictures of the progress:

Beginning to put on the Oak trim around the tile
DSC04203-Copy_zps7dd52322.jpg

The Trim is on
DSC04204-Copy_zps5513dad1.jpg

After staining and varnishing the cabinet it is now in the front hall.  I put wheels on it to allow for easy access to the sump and put the Pipefish tank on top.  I have the doors for the front but need to stain them to match the cabinet before installing them.  Here it is in the front hall, along with a picture from the side to show the perspective with the Reef tank.

DSC04251_zps669db475.jpg

DSC04250_zps4f5b883d.jpg

I built a shelf to suspend the LED lights for the Reef tank and installed them last week
DSC04253_zps086dd038.jpg

Next we turned our attention to Dave's Predator tank.  As you can imagine, it took quite a while to make the water for this tank.  In between doing water changes on the two tanks already running, Dave managed to get the plumbing done on his tank, added and aquascaped some new rock and the filling began...
DSC04227-Copy_zpse015ed6e.jpg

It took almost a week to get enough water made and the tank full enough to begin moving things.  On Wednesday and Thursday evening, we did the big push to get the existing rocks and fish from his old tank into the new 220 gallon predator tank.  We have a large seascape mural on our basement wall and decided this would be the perfect backdrop for Dave's new tank.  Here it is in all it's glory...

DSC04243-Copy_zps3f13c4e3.jpg

Luckily all of the plumbing worked well.  We have an acrylic trickle sump in the cabinet filled with bioballs and an SWC protein skimmer rated for 400 gallons that has already started pulling out crap.  The pump is a Mag 2400.  We still have to make the lights for the tank and are currently using the lights that came with Dave's other predator tank until I can make the new lights.  Since there will not be any major corals in this tank we have decided we are not buying any High-end lights for this system and I will make lights for this system and my Seahorse system.

Here are some of the fish Dave now has in his tank
DSC04213_zpsa4eeebcd.jpg

A Magnificent Foxface with his camoflauge in the picture above and without in the picture below
DSC04215-Copy_zps768d7b17.jpg

A beautiful Lionfish who has a voracious appetite!
DSC04212_zps6e1d0dc3.jpg

And, of course, the reason for the tank in the first place...the snowflake eel!  This one has been growing like a weed and there are no concerns about his ability to survive in the tank.  He spends all of his time in the holes in the rock at the moment so it is very hard to get a current picture of him. 
Our-new-eel_zpsb86c9155.jpg

This morning I walked around the house and took some pictures of all the tanks as they are now.  It has been a long, but enjoyable month while all of these changes took place.  All of the fish survived their ordeals and we survived ours!  It is so nice to sit back and reflect on the changes that have taken place in the last 4 years in our house since I first started thinking about owning seahorses and the knowledge we have gained on this journey into saltwater.  From our first freshwater tank to these magnificent saltwater tanks, it all started with a common love of water and fish.  Seahorses will always be my passion but these extensions that have cropped up in our journey have become the epitome of our love of nature and our quest to bring the ocean closer to us.  We now have a little ocean oasis representing three distinct areas of the ocean for our relaxing pleasure at the end of our day.  What more could we ask for!!  ....who knows...

MrHermit85

Freaking awesome progress and you guys have such a variety of critters!!! I love the seahorses and the foxface and all of the tanks! That mural is certainly an eyecatcher too, I wish I could have that behind my tank!!!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
LIke the eel. My daughter wants one of those.
Nice stand, good job.
Thanks Mike.  I love building things and really enjoyed creating something that would both hide the sump and look good in the front hall.  I can't wait to get the doors on to finish the piece.  The Eel is great.  Our daughter is having a great time feeding him and the Lionfish, although from the squeals you'd never know it!!

MrHermit85 link said:
Freaking awesome progress and you guys have such a variety of critters!!! I love the seahorses and the foxface and all of the tanks! That mural is certainly an eyecatcher too, I wish I could have that behind my tank!!!
Thanks, we put the mural up several years ago because I fell in love with it.  Little did I know it would become such an awesome background for Dave's tank!  When we look into the tank, the rocks are mirrored against the back wall of the tank and the mural behind it gives the illusion that we are seeing far into the ocean.  It's quite something.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
harleymike link said:
LIke the eel. My daughter wants one of those.
Nice stand, good job.
Thanks Mike.  I love building things and really enjoyed creating something that would both hide the sump and look good in the front hall.  I can't wait to get the doors on to finish the piece.  The Eel is great.  Our daughter is having a great time feeding him and the Lionfish, although from the squeals you'd never know it!!

MrHermit85 link said:
Thanks, we put the mural up several years ago because I fell in love with it.  Little did I know it would become such an awesome background for Dave's tank!  When we look into the tank, the rocks are mirrored against the back wall of the tank and the mural behind it gives the illusion that we are seeing far into the ocean.  It's quite something.