Overflow noise

DaveNewf

Hi,
What are some solutions for noise within the overflow box. The noise I'm getting isn't from the full siphon in the main part of the box but from the main display side as the water pours into the box. I've had a coarse filter foam there a one point but I'm too worries that'll plug up over time and not allow as much water to flow and then ....you know what? I'm sure theres an easy solution to a quiet overflow?

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
sounds like you're running the water level too low in the overflow box, you want the openings to be just under the water

DaveNewf

Thanks guys, I have this overflow box and a suction screen(?) on one (lower) and an emergency pipe (higher). Torx...I should raise the screen higher to reduce the noise?

Attachments

• suction screen.jpg
    suction screen.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Overflow spihon.jpg
    Overflow spihon.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 56

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
yes or restrict the flow through the drain and raise the water level in the box

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
These 2 drains are difficult to make perfect. The idea set up has 3 drains. The first being full siphon, the second being a trickle and the third being the emergency. In that case you would set the full siphon up so that the water level just started trickling over the second. The system would be dead silent and still have the emergency.

When you only have 2 drains, I would suggest getting a second screen to add to the emergency. From there I would adjust the siphon so that the water just goes over the emergency. Basically that eliminates the emergency, but the screen should keep anything bad out, just check it now and then to make sure it isn't covered in anything.

DaveNewf

These 2 drains are difficult to make perfect. The idea set up has 3 drains. The first being full siphon, the second being a trickle and the third being the emergency. In that case you would set the full siphon up so that the water level just started trickling over the second. The system would be dead silent and still have the emergency.

When you only have 2 drains, I would suggest getting a second screen to add to the emergency. From there I would adjust the siphon so that the water just goes over the emergency. Basically that eliminates the emergency, but the screen should keep anything bad out, just check it now and then to make sure it isn't covered in anything.
Oh my!!.. after digging into the question and reviewing my flow rate I was x2 as high as I should have been!? Does this math work....I have about 60G total water volume. If I want x20 times turnover per hour then I'm looking at 1,200GPH.....or 20GPM which = 75LPM. I had mine @ 200LPM.
and thanks for the advise on overflow; new build will definately have that

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
You're overthinking it.
You just want constant water flow to the sump/filters, and you want it quiet.
Just an fyi, I had a catastrophic failure with 2 returns, on my second build I went with 2 drains, and 2 dry emergency pipes.
Sound was taken care of by valves on the drains at the sump. As others have said it's a bit of an art to get them tuned. Thing is, once they're tuned they should be silent, and if they're not, it gives you a heads up if impending problems. My biggest issue was water return pumps getting dirty and slowing down, leading to low levels in the overflows... and noise.

DaveNewf

You're overthinking it.
You just want constant water flow to the sump/filters, and you want it quiet.
Just an fyi, I had a catastrophic failure with 2 returns, on my second build I went with 2 drains, and 2 dry emergency pipes.
Sound was taken care of by valves on the drains at the sump. As others have said it's a bit of an art to get them tuned. Thing is, once they're tuned they should be silent, and if they're not, it gives you a heads up if impending problems. My biggest issue was water return pumps getting dirty and slowing down, leading to low levels in the overflows... and noise.
yeah, likely am but for sure where I had it was too high. I'll mess aroud with the 'right' flow verses noise and see where Iand. appreciate the feedback on your expirience there. Thanks again

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
yeah, likely am but for sure where I had it was too high. I'll mess aroud with the 'right' flow verses noise and see where Iand. appreciate the feedback on your expirience there. Thanks again
Shooter has my setup now, he might have a different approach to the setup by now, mine was pretty simplistic. Of course, that's if he's set up the tank and doesn't have MY FISH IN A BUCKET STILL. o_O

DaveNewf

Shooter has my setup now, he might have a different approach to the setup by now, mine was pretty simplistic. Of course, that's if he's set up the tank and doesn't have MY FISH IN A BUCKET STILL. o_O
Yeah in looking a little bit closer I think my emergency overflow pipe extention is just a bit to short. I need to to be higher and I think that'll help as well. I'll be close to the top of the overflow box itself which doesn't give me a great deal of comfort. Only a sudden and complete blockage would overwhelm the box....
I appreciate the feedback, its been educating.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah in looking a little bit closer I think my emergency overflow pipe extention is just a bit to short. I need to to be higher and I think that'll help as well. I'll be close to the top of the overflow box itself which doesn't give me a great deal of comfort. Only a sudden and complete blockage would overwhelm the box....
I appreciate the feedback, its been educating.
I set my sump back and directly under the overflow, not sure if that's possible for you, but I actually caught a couple of jumpers that way too.
Also, a flood alarm connected to an app can help peace of mind too.

Eggboy

I have the same overflow and it drove me crazy at first as well and made a slightly higher red tube , you want the water just barely trickle over into it , you‘ll only be a 1/4 inch from the top of box but after 2 years never had an issue , I also put a VERY coarse mesh screen in the front which also helps and does catch some crap which you can spray off couple times a week , turning the flow down also helps tremendously

DaveNewf

I have the same overflow and it drove me crazy at first as well and made a slightly higher red tube , you want the water just barely trickle over into it , you‘ll only be a 1/4 inch from the top of box but after 2 years never had an issue , I also put a VERY coarse mesh screen in the front which also helps and does catch some crap which you can spray off couple times a week , turning the flow down also helps tremendously
Hey thanks for the response here. If I raise my emergency overflow I expect I'll get the same results. Appreciate you sharing that Eggboy