Pale brown acro

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copperkills

I was just curious if frags in this condition can be brought back.  This is a pale browned out Leprachauns beard.  It still has polyp expansion but its overall condition is quite poor.  Anyone have experience bringing colours back once they have browned out?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If it isn't dead it will come back if in good water conditions. Can take awhile sometimes from what I have seen. Definitely a lot easier to lose colours then to get back :p

spyd

Super Active Member
I would move it as high up in your tank as you can. Browning usually means either there is PO4 or nitrates present, or just not enough light.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I have a piece of that, and it was brown for almost a year.  The recent change of lighting has it pure white, but still good polyp extention.  It's supposed to have green in it but I have had brown with white polyps and now white with white polyps.  I'm definitely hoping to see the green come out now.

Bu short answer, it's a fairly hardy sps, and yeah it's probably PO4 or low light. 

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Heres a picture of the actual colony.

DSCF6759_zps2737a221.jpg

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
Your making me miss that hairy polyp goodness.

ya it cool looking, do you know its name? or anything about it?

C

copperkills

Well its three inches below WL under my new LEDS, should colour up nice then

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3809.msg33686#msg33686 date=1355877732]

[/quote]I got it years ago as a frag from Dave Jelly http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/totm/index.php .  I sold the colony to Rick. 

As far as the name....well Dr.Sanjay Joshi (reef lighting guy) had and starting selling a coral that looked very similar and he called it the Leprechaun beard acro https://www.google.ca/search?q=leprechaun+beard+acro&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Dy3RUN7sGMjsrQHY2oFo&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1467&bih=853#  .....they dont come from the same source but I started calling mine my leprechaun beard acro.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=3809.msg33688#msg33688 date=1355878069]
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=3809.msg33686#msg33686 date=1355877732]

[/quote]I got it years ago as a frag from Dave Jelly http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/totm/index.php .  I sold the colony to Rick. 

As far as the name....well Dr.Sanjay Joshi (reef lighting guy) had and starting selling a coral that looked very similar and he called it the Leprechaun beard acro https://www.google.ca/search?q=leprechaun+beard+acro&hl=en&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Dy3RUN7sGMjsrQHY2oFo&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1467&bih=853#  .....they dont come from the same source but I started calling mine my leprechaun beard acro.
[/quote]

thanks for the info, I think I've passed it up a few times at ricks to tell u the truth now that you mention the name.. ill have to see if I can grab a frag from rick one of these days, I really like the green and the shagginess

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
A while back I picked up a browned out colony from SUM for $10 (I didn't know if an SPS would survive in my system, so it was a small gamble).

After about 4 weeks it went from a uniform dirty brown to this..

mille.jpg

and my tank isn't really geared towards SPS (...read "dirty"  ::) )

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Darryl_V link said:
Sure T but its not a millepora....not sure of the species but definitely not a mille.

The lep beard is truly unique, I thought it would be considered a milli because of the long polyp extention.

How can you qualify a miil species from other acros? Just curious...

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Millepora is just a type of acropora.  They way you identify is the same as identifying any species.  To me the lep beard is significantly different in corallite structure than a mille....

C

copperkills

So my acro appears to be colouring up now.  I can definately see it is getting darker with a hint of purple.  It has also started a "shedding reaction?" when i feed.  It becomes engrossed in long white stringy material tht doesnt appear to come from the polyp but from the actual skeleton.  I remember seeing this covered on here before but can someone remind me if this is indeed just a feeding response or a response to something foreign!

Status
Not open for further replies.