Ph Is High! 8.6 High!

Chef G

Hey Guys kinda worried been looking on the net like a mad man my ph is 8.6 at the end of night cycle is this too high? all my other params are in check other than my phosphate 0.0-0.05ppm but getting new phosphate media tomorow.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Double Check that the probe is calibrated.

Double check that your dosers are working, or kalk thing if you use that.

what is your typical ph range ?? - 8.6

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I find the main reason I used ph probe on tank, hooked into apex was to notify me of a spike in ph. The spike was ALWAYS caused from alk doser being left on usually after doing a alk test, and manually turning on doser outlet to dose up tank a bit.

Calibrated or not, it still reacts crazy to too much alk additives added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chef G

hey guys thanks for the replies & support!! :) gunna test my alk now, ph is back to 8.6 again it went down to 8.3 earlier at night with slow use of vinegar on drip and monitoring it through the night..but now its back at 8.6 at the time the moonlighting kicks on and the sump lights turn on... my fish (pair of chromis) are doing fine my corals LPS and softies look hurt by it just kinda alarming gunna do a manual ph test also the old fashion way... i woulder if the probe needs to be replaced, i calibrated it less than 3 weeks ago... anyways gunna do these test and report back again thanks for the support and feedback!

Chef G

ph is reading at 8.4 on the test kit and probe says 8.47 its coming down but im noticing the spike happening 3 hours into begining of light cycle. Also I noticed my maxijet failed for my reactor running carbon and phos remover i got it working again... plan on installing upgrade to hard plumbing on return in a couple of days and adding a feed line to the reactor with a valve for flow control. Im checkin the alk but I have funny feeling the dead pump on the reactor is to blame for the wonky ph levels due to carbon not running??

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Also you'll always notice the ph fluctuate when lights are on or off. The use of o2 and build up of co2 causes this naturally. Normal to see the ph number go up and down. If you want a good base line to work from. You should test a few hours after lights are on and a few hours after lights go out. But should be testing at the exact same time all the time if you want to compare numbers.

Or just test alk and forget about ph ;)

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
hey guys thanks for the replies & support!! :) gunna test my alk now, ph is back to 8.6 again it went down to 8.3 earlier at night with slow use of vinegar on drip and monitoring it through the night..but now its back at 8.6 at the time the moonlighting kicks on and the sump lights turn on... my fish (pair of chromis) are doing fine my corals LPS and softies look hurt by it just kinda alarming gunna do a manual ph test also the old fashion way... i woulder if the probe needs to be replaced, i calibrated it less than 3 weeks ago... anyways gunna do these test and report back again thanks for the support and feedback!

I would say your corals are more impacted by your maxi jet issue then the pH (your reactors not working would cause coral issues, not your pH of 8.6 which is irrelevant). Don't start dosing things to drop your pH, you are asking for trouble.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
A marine tank is a heavily buffered solution. By trying to alter ph independent of Alkalinity you are just eating up that buffering capacity then you will see serious and damaging ph swings.

Also remember that by using vinegar you are not just adding acid like using HCl...you have also suddenly started carbon dosing! IME SPS immediately love carbon additions but LPS are very mixed and many don't react well to carbon dosing at all.

One more vote for ignoring your ph unless running a CO2 reactor and start watching your Alk...it is the key number!

Chef G

turns out my alk was off!... my alk was 2.38mq... using seachem reef builder to raise my alk back to 4 going to do this gradually over the next 3 days tonight being the first day im following the dosing instructions without going over the daily recommended dose, do you guys think 3 days is too fast?