pH issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becca_vienna

Hey again everyone!!

So, after a LONG time of no parameter change.. my pH will NOT stay about 7.8!!
I have been using a buffer very often, and it will change right back within 24-48 hours.
Anyone have any advice?

I use RO water from my dad who has a unit with a UV sterilizer.

spyd

Super Active Member
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I honestly don't even track my ph much. Have you ever checked your alkalinity levels before? Low ph could mean low alk.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Do you have any oxygen running into the main tank at all?  Sometimes the pH falls when there isn't enough oxygen in the tank.  A quick way to tell is to take some of the water and put it in a bucket, then run a bubbler into it at high speed for an hour and re-test your pH in the bucket.  Also, do you have a full lid on your tank or is it open to allow for gas exchange?  There is also a relation with CO2 but I can't remember what that is because mine was fixed by running O2 into the DT.  Do you have your tank upstairs or downstairs?  The problem seems to occur more often on basement ones because there is little fresh air exchange in the winter.  Buffer is only masking your original problem but not fixing it.

B

becca_vienna

Thanks guys!
My one powerhead has an air tube and works VERY well but I don't have it open currently, I will give it a try adn test again tonight. My tank is on a main floor. I have a full lid or now but I always keep it open. Hopefully opening the air tube will help!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
pH issue

Calibrate probes.... Check your mag calc and Alk levels.  They get screwy it will affect your ph.  O2 levels as well.  If your house is air type they will be a greater amount of co2 in the tank which will affect ph. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
pH issue

Keep it open it at least ventilated with a small fan

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
How are you testing PH?  Probe, test kit or test strip?

When I neglected my tank I had a PH of 7.8, it came up when I started using 2-part, however to this day it might slip back to 7.8 at night, and then up to 8.2 during the day.  If the tank is good then don't worry about PH too much.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Full lids are bad.

Our saltwater aquariums often run slightly low in pH due to being in doors.  This problem (if you can even call it that) is often exasperated in the winter when we have our house sealed up tight and not opening the door to go out side as much.  Generally the resulting slightly lower pH is nothing to worry about.  Personally I havent even measured pH in probably 5 yrs.

Important thing to remember is that you should never be trying to adjust your pH directly.  Think of low pH as a symptom but the problem is really something else.  What I mean by this is dont add buffer trying to get your pH to some magic number, what often happens is your ALK will sky rocket.

Instead you should know that only two things will effect pH that you should be concerned with, and those are the dissolved oxygen level and the carbonate level (alkalinity).  As long these two things are good than you really should be forgetting about pH.

Some things you can try is to bring the oxygen level higher in your aquarium by removing the lid.  Maybe running an HRV or bathroom fan or the air line to your powerhead (I dont like this idea because it adds way to many bubbles to the display but maybe good for the sump).  Also using a buffer (sodium carbonate) or kalkwasser is good too as long as your tank is in need of an alkalinity supplement.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
pH issue

Very useful info and well explained Darryl!!!
I often will open our windows here and there where my tank is (basement) whenever I start noticing my ph falling below 8.0 at night (lights out) not to say this is bad but for me I like my ph between 8 and 8.4 and by allowing new air into the house I have found it keeps my ph stable (falls and climbs consistently). I feel the same, you should not be adding anything to control your ph directly.....ph falls into place when you have proper alk, calcium, mag, and dissolved oxygen levels.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B

becca_vienna

Thanks Darryl!

I did use sodium carbonate, my alk was low! With the air line open just a teeny bit my pH is fine, I should stop worrying :)
I am trying to find a better lighting setup so I can get rid of this lid! :?

We do keep our windows slightly open as our house stays very hot in winter, so hopefully that will help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.