Photos from my 120

spyd

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
Looks amazing.  Those two pictures back to back could be an advertisement for royal blue LED though.  They bring out so much colour.

I agree! Colours are popping way more in that first pic. Amazing as all ways Jordan. The tank is looking great!

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
Looks amazing.  Those two pictures back to back could be an advertisement for royal blue LED though.  They bring out so much colour.

spyd link said:
I agree! Colours are popping way more in that first pic. Amazing as all ways Jordan. The tank is looking great!

I agree, the blue does bring out a ton of colour.  That said, when looking at the tank without them, you definitely see some other colours in some of the coral that get washed out with the RBs on.  Glad I thought of moving to those RBs Darryl, despite you trying to talk me out of it lol  ;)

teebone110 link said:
The new aquascape is looking good, I can't believe how fast you can grow sps!
8)
I see you kept your regal angel, is the HLLE improved?

I couldn't catch either fish even with a fish trap, I finally got the YT this morning.  The regal is about the same, hasn't gotten any better hasn't gotten any worse.  It seems happy and eats like a pig.  Always cruising around and actively grazing.  Eats angel diet and mysis from my hand.

EricTMah link said:
Looks amazing!

What camera/lens set up are you using for your photos?

This last round was with a 6D and 24-105 2.8 lens, as well as a 100 2.8 macro (all Canon).

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Looks great.  I grabbed a nice piece of that prostata from Dave.  Man that colony was huge.  One of my fav pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
davesolo29 link said:
Looks great.  I grabbed a nice piece of that prostata from Dave.  Man that colony was huge.  One of my fav pieces.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some testing tonight and my alk and ca is a bit lower than expected, I swear that prostrata just soaks it up like a sponge

jroovers

Super Active Member
Plain old blue-green chromis :)

14012395020_f1587ff6d6_b.jpg

14199016445_d3dca0712a_b.jpg

14012395710_939a461f60_b.jpg

14012354169_edcca2f8da_b.jpg

14012425587_70d22487bd_b.jpg

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I had built the tower structure that is now in the center of my tank a while back but kept second guessing myself as to wether or not is was a good idea.  When I came to get the Regal and saw how fantastic the  similar structure on the right side of your tank looked it convinced me to go ahead.

You have such a great sense for the overall aesthetic appeal of your tank. Not to mention such phenomenal growth.

Marz

I really have to get a macro lens. One thing I have to mention is that although the photography is outstanding, it looks like your corals are doing very very well. I just went through the entire thread again and can only aspire to having such a healthy system :)

jroovers

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Amazing, you can even make a blue chromis look good!

Thanks Tyler, it is crazy to look at the chromis close up, they have sort of a rainbow of colours in their scales and the spaces in between that you don't really notice (or I never noticed anyway) until looking at the photos.  :eek:

reeferkeeper420 link said:
Gorgeous tank! That regal really makes me miss mine :(

AdInfinitum link said:
I had built the tower structure that is now in the center of my tank a while back but kept second guessing myself as to wether or not is was a good idea.  When I came to get the Regal and saw how fantastic the  similar structure on the right side of your tank looked it convinced me to go ahead.

You have such a great sense for the overall aesthetic appeal of your tank. Not to mention such phenomenal growth.

I certainly miss my regal, Rob hope it is doing well in your tank.  My pillars sort of ended up the way they are by default (they broke apart at the top, the left moreso than the right, hence the right pillar being much taller than the left at present).  In hindsight I would do them differently but they are holding at the moment and the coral is growing according to the structure (knock on wood).  Taking out the regal and the YT has changed the nutrient demand of the tank even with the addition of the chromis and a couple more anthias, struggling to find the new balance for the fish and corals.

Flexin5 link said:
Tank is looking amazing Jordan! i finally decided to bite the bullet and pick up a proper macro lense, (the same as yours)

Nice Jason, you won't be disappointed.  I don't really think the Canon is that much better than the Tamron, but it sounds like yours hadn't been working right for a very long time, so I'm sure it is going to seem like a huge upgrade!  Waiting for some pics...  :D

deeznutz link said:
Someones got some skill behind the lens :O
Great set!

-dan

Marz link said:
I really have to get a macro lens. One thing I have to mention is that although the photography is outstanding, it looks like your corals are doing very very well. I just went through the entire thread again and can only aspire to having such a healthy system :)

Thanks guys, the photos aside the tank has its challenges.  Right now I'm struggling with finding the proper nutrient balance after changing the fish load.  I had a great balance for a long time and the coral's colour and the growth of algae were in harmony.  After removing the fish I overskimmed and underfed, and things paled.  My undata went ballistic and while 90% recovered, it still has a couple of problem spots that have been slow to rebound.  I've now went the other way, and have overfed and underskimmed, and seem to be having trouble finding the fine line nutrient wise.  The removal of the YT and regal has also left all of the grazing responsibilities up to my PBT, and he is struggling to keep up.  I don't think my YT or regal ate bubble algae, but since they have been gone, there seems to be more of it (could simply be nutrients though however).  I also have a plethora of red planaria at the moment, after changing my substrate I obviously provided them with something to thrive on.  I'm hoping their population crashes sooner rather than later!  Anyhow, there is always something.  Growth however continues to be good on most if not all of my corals, and colours are pretty darn good again now too on most pieces. 

reefgeek

It's kind of funny your photos of that blue green chromis actually make me want to add them to my list of fish to keep (for as long as I can remember I have detested the blue green chromis). Very nicely done. 

jroovers

Super Active Member
The chromis do add a lot to the tank, the undata is almost getting too big now, but is on the rebound.

Photo update, tank is doing well.  I added two small clowns in addition to the small fleet of chromis.  My nutrients changed and I had a bit of pale out, followed by a bit of overgrowth, think I'm at the right balance now.  The chromis make things more "reef like" in my opinion especially with the anthias - there are lots of small, brightly coloured reef fishes in sufficient numbers that it is more representative of what you might find on a healthy, busy reef.  My thoughts anyway. 

Introduced 8 berghia nudie after FragFest, which are starting to get my aptasia under control.

I have red planaria still, but they are disappearing more and more... with the next substrate vacuuming, I think I should be in really good shape. 

I took out my hammer, it was getting to big and starting to sting my SPS (enjoy Yangman!).  I may replace with another wall hammer, just a lot smaller, and I may also add a nice red goniopora if I can find one.  Otherwise, just trying to stay on course as is.

Enough chat, onto the photos

FTS
14337873186_4550b3a12b_b.jpg

Sharp looking fleet
14357650541_1a433b99ac_c.jpg

Undata on the rebound
14357653231_32590705c4_c.jpg

New birds nest to fill in a gap on my left pillar, green colour adds nice contrast to surrounding coral colours
14174349338_3fbb913981_c.jpg

Got some strange distortion on this green cap shot, I thought it looks kinda cool though
14381155773_a4b8eafb41_c.jpg

My surharsonoi frag, only one left from the colony I used to have, I call it Bluth's Banana, starting to branch out
14381156303_7a1889d468_c.jpg

This coral is showing great growth.  I got it as a $10 frag from Fragalot, I'm guessing it was a fragged up mariculture or wild acro probably from Indonesia, but not certain. I've grown out a couple small colonies, but always had something go wrong with it, then fragged it up and kept a piece for myself.  This is on its way to being the nicest colony yet, has a nice compact tabling form (knock on wood).
14357655531_3888cb57a2_c.jpg

jroovers

Super Active Member
Prostrata colony #2 - all this thing does is grow
14357656341_46bf93a01a_c.jpg

A. Plana has encrusted like crazy and is branching out in all directions, can't believe the colours on it
14359452252_38ed6a7c4b_c.jpg

Pearlberry frag finally showing growth and colour after months and months of waiting
14174321529_3719056f8a_c.jpg

My RR Strawberry Shortcake, this thing has gone on a tear, throwing out growth in all directions, probably my favourite coral in the tank at the moment
14359453422_23df366c6c_c.jpg

Cracked out my 14 mm wide angle Rokinon lens and tried a couple of shots, has a ton of distortion, but I thought it produced a couple of nice shots that really gives you a sense of the depth of field of my scape that you don't see in my other standard FTS's. 

14174347578_a254b58687_b.jpg

14174315539_8566989e9a_b.jpg

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
sooooo much room on that sand bed for nice brains ... :)
get a couple small welso... would pop in your tank!