Phytoplankton Concentrate

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I am going to be selling phytoplankton as I have had so many requests. It will be a mix of Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis, perfect for general tank use (corals, filter feeders, inverts, pods), for pod cultures and combination pod/rotifer cultures. Unfortunately, due to the need for refrigeration/freezing, these bottles will be pick-up only. I will also be at the Brantfort Frag Swap coming up!

Phyto can be bottled to any concentration, but I think I will do two standard concentrations:

Lower Concentration Tank-use (refrigerate at all times): 100,000 cells/ml
High Concentration Breeding-use (best kept frozen, can be diluted for tank use): ~1,000,000 cells/ml

Keep in mind the "lower concentration" is still extremely concentrated, 8oz of it makes the equivalent of 5 litres of algae.

Bottles last 3 months refrigerated, and over 2 years frozen.

The first few bottles have just been made, will make some more tomorrow. Prices to come soon.

SamB

Super Active Member
You are really giving your customers some great options David !
Most appreciated

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Thanks Sam!

Are there people who would be interested in large amounts of algae? 3-4 months lifespan in the fridge, and 2-3 years in the freezer. Frozen bottles can be partially defrosted for use, or defrosted and portioned (ice cube bag/tray), and re-frozen. Keep in mind the suggested starting dosages to get an idea of how long they will last you.

Lower Concentration Tank-use (refrigerate at all times): 100,000 cells/ml recommended starting dosage: 1 ml / 25 gallons
8oz (237ml equivalent to 5 liters of live algae)
16oz (473ml equivalent to 10 liters of live algae)

High Concentration Breeding-use (best kept frozen): ~1,000,000 cells/ml
High concentration recommended starting tank dosage: 1 ml / 250 gallons, Culture dosage: Add slowly until the water is mostly opaque green.
8oz ( 237ml, equivalent to 50 liters of live algae)
16oz (473ml, equivalent to 100 liters of live algae)

Phyto-concentrate (must be kept frozen): ~14,000,000,000 cells/ml
2oz (59ml, equivalent to 50 liters of live algae)
8oz (237ml, equivalent to 200 liters of algae)