phytoplankton

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cal_stir

After a lot of research, I've started culturing phytoplankton. I got a culture disk from Florida Aqua Farms, Miracle Grow liquid plant food, a bunch of 2l soda bottles, a strong air pump, tubing, valves, etc.
Miracle Grow is considered less nutritious than FAF micro algae grow because it lacks vitamins, and some people believe the vitamins lead to crashes, but I add selcon to my tanks regularly.
It will take about 9 days for the culture to reach max density, at which time I will split the culture, I plan to do 7 bottles at various stages, and use them as live food for my tanks and rotifer cultures, I might switch my rotifers to copepods.
This is day 1

R

reeffreak

I was actually just reading up on cultivatinf copepods , will ride this out with ya post the progress and good luck .

D

Dr BlueThumb

Looking good so far.

I use to culture 6x1 G container's  of phyto as well but it got to be a P.I.T.A.

I wish I would of set it up like you, because if I did, I probably would still be doing it. I love the stuff and had no problem adding large amount's straight to my tank. you can't beat live food and the beginning of the food chain.

I use to dose phyto experimental in regard to limiting nitrate and phosphate.

S

shayneh

How you making out Cal? Wish you were closer so I had a steady supply...LOL!

C

Cal_stir

it's going good, i'm using 1 bottle and split the second into 3, got @ 3 more days til ready, then i will split into 6.
i quit the rotifers and going to start copepods
i'm doing nanochloropsus now, i'm going to start isocrysis and tetraselmis in the near future
also i'm going to start using guillards f2 instead of miracle grow
gotta reorganize to prevent cross contamination
running out of room
i'm starting to think i'm going crazy ???

S

shayneh

LOL! Sounds like fun....any more pics of the operation?

C

Cal_stir

up to 5 bottles now, iv'e ordered 2 more kinds and the guillards f2, and a book
i ordered a cream separator from the Ukraine, i read that it is great for concentrating phyto, separates the water out, and you can adj the density, the bottles come out a bit weak compared to what you buy
will keep you posted

C

Cal_stir

UPDATE

phyto crashed! :'(
contaminated with rotifers, they eat it as fast as it grows, going to start over next week after i get my new strands and guillards f2.

i still plan to culture copepods but i will keep them on the other side of the room,and i'm going to build a filter for my air pump

Status
Not open for further replies.