Picked this up yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief hill

ru3esyda.jpg

Red Marble/fromia star.
I did a 5.5 hr drip acclimation. But it has not moved from where I put it.  Took the picture with lights out.
No signs of tissue damage or melting. Are they typically like this for a day or 2 or is a sign that it may be in trouble?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

C

crazybizzle

There hugly succeptiable to salt and temp changes so if the salt content from the store to ur tank  was off by couple points its probaly  stressed out. Besides brittle, and brisstle stars i find all other stars dont last to long but that my opinion. Plus its good to watch them before u buy to see if its actually moving

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i have a red fromia star , and he did the exact same thing,
i did only about an 1hr drip though, but he laid on a rock for 2 days, didnt move a muscle...
now hes all over the tank

C

crazybizzle

Ya give it a day or two..if u notice its size changing smaller that means its dying

chief hill

Re: Picked this up yesterday

It was crawling on the glass at the lfs so it seems like it was in good shape And it's color is good.
I'm just hoping it's in a little "new tank shock" and will move around later.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

sunnykita

Super Active Member
one of my sillier moments was when my chocolate chip starfish hadn't moved for a couple of days, I was worried, picked him up with the net and went to pull him from the tank thinking he was a goner and low and behold out came his little feet. Lesson learned, just watch him and see what he does.

chief hill

sunnykita link said:
one of my sillier moments was when my chocolate chip starfish hadn't moved for a couple of days, I was worried, picked him up with the net and went to pull him from the tank thinking he was a goner and low and behold out came his little feet. Lesson learned, just watch him and see what he does.

Yea I didnt touch mine.  When its melting then its time to touch it.  Its moved onto the side of a rock and is staying put.  As long as it moves around once and a while thats fine.
Its no different than my Pink sea cucumber. It sits and does nothing.  Just some more color in the tank.  ;D

C

crazybizzle

Just in case u didnt know ..u know that when sea cucumbers die they emit  toxins which can poision ur tank..jys a heads up  ive always wanted one but havnt got one for that reason

chief hill

Re: Re: Picked this up yesterday

crazybizzle link said:
Just in case u didnt know ..u know that when sea cucumbers die they emit  toxins which can poision ur tank..jys a heads up  ive always wanted one but havnt got one for that reason

Yes im aware of that.  Its alive and well now.  However at first sign of trouble it will get pulled.  Mine has sat in the same spot since its introduction.  The main concern would be for thoes that have these in their own tanks and ones that hide and die with no knowledge that there is a problem. 
As long as i can keep an eye on it Im ok with it.

Mine is right in front of the Dt.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.