Plants in sump to lower nitrates ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-ROMBERG

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
What are the best plants to lower nitrates that I can put in my sump I have a 220 gallon with a 55 gallon sump. Can't get my nitrates under 20 ppm even after a 100 gallon water change.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Have you tested the water for nitrates before you put it into your tank?  If the nitrates are still that high after such a large water change, I would check the source water in case you are just continuing to add nitrates.  Just a thought...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
My tap water used to have nitrates when I kept discus and other freshwater fish. For the discus to battles this I used RO water and ran alder ones/almond leaves to keep tank balanced at a low ph. When I kept other freshwater fish I would do a 50% tap water / 50% RO water to make up my water change water. I also added prime to both of these.

Crispy

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
my sump is full of pothos roots. the pothos plant is 15 feet away in the kitchen window. HUGE bioload on the tank and with weekly 30-40% water changes my nitrates stay 0. takes the roots a few months to establish, but once they do, look out.

dale

i grew tomatoes and greenpeppers in a window planter outside with the roots just in gravel and trickeled the tank water on each root ball with airline with a return back to the tank... the tomatoes like a lower ph, 6 or so, and my water was 8.. but they still did pretty good..... you need a plant that grows fast, then it will work...

Status
Not open for further replies.