Please Help My Shrimp Are Starving

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
okay I have had these 3 shrimp two cleaners and a blood for around two years. The 1st year and a half no real problem I saw them they did their shrimp thing.

But in the last 6 months I stepped up my feeding and these guys ar out of control. Especially the two cleaners. They will dart out into the water column as soon as the food hits the water and even fight the clowns. Ripping the food out of their mouths!

Think I over feed, I feed about two cubes of food a day. I feed at lunch then after work once home about an hour then maybe 8 pm the rest or when the lights are about to go out around 9:30 pm

I have three clowns, a lawnmower blenny and a potters angel.

Anyone have had a similar experience? How did you fix it?

Do I need an auto feeder? :(

thehvacman

I’ve had the same problem with cleaners. It will get to the point where they will rip food out of corals right after they are spot fed, even if the shrimp get fed first. They become more of a nuisance in a reef tank, that’s why I stopped keeping them. It’s much better to run a parasite free system and keep cleaners in the ocean.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Try feeding the shrimp pellets, ones almost big enough to get into the mouth-hole. They will work on one pellet for a long time, allowing the rest of the fish to eat. I think that's an old old trick, but it still works.
What type of pellets do you recommend?

Also thanks everyone for the help.