please help stuff is dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

koop

so yesterday i woke up to my blue powder died all my Parameters where good except my ph was a little low to day i wake up to one of my sable clowns died and my other one is just lying on the sand hell swim a bit then back to laying there he eat then goes back to the sand some of my parameters  are right out of wack my ph is so high its right off the charts my salt levels are way to high ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate .2-.3 i think my alkalinity is really high i think over 300 also my coral are not looking to good but my coral beauty and sand sifting goby look perfect any ideas

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
What is your ph, salinity,alk and temp of tank?

Careful when doing water change that every parameter is close to the parameters of your tank.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Are they breathing fast ?.....one day all my fish where breathing fast.  .so i did a big water change. About 50 percent ...i had to make up my salt mix that time. Thru the day.  But only lost the 3 damsels.    The clowns and sailfin and another damsel survived ..all my parameters where fine ..it was the pulp that told me to do that big water change

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
your case petercar was very drastic,did you ever figure out what caused your problem ,if I recall correctly you never even had a quarantine tank ,if the fish are dying and they are  showing signs of distress for whats alive,and your 20 percent water change does not help ,I would quarantine what is left to try to save them ,then get down to figuring out what's wrong 

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
if all of your parameters are in check  like you say ,with the exception of a high pH  ,you wanna look for something forgien,I've seen things like paint fumes ,WD 40 on the hands  and even once I heard  cooking fumes ,musta been some kind of oil  kill of the tank .we don't normally test for heavy metals  ,I suppose we all should be wearing gloves when we enter the tank  so anything from our hands does not enter the water  but with out more info it's very hard to diagnose

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
and on of further note  a higher pH normally won't kill your fish  it's just how fast it gets there  that can be quite harmful

that's just my own opinion

K

koop

jerry_doucette link said:

Careful when doing water change that every parameter is close to the parameters of your tank.

ph is over 8.8 but thats a high as my tester goes, salinity 1.028 , alk is over 300 that as high as i can test, temp 78

K

koop

I've never cleaned it with any kind of cleaner i have special glass clean clothes that use no cleaner or liquid of any sort

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If you have some carbon on hand give it a good rinse and then get some running on your tank just incase it is a chemical or toxin in the water.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Swer to god one time my housekeeper used a water change bucket to mop the floor with.  I only noticed by accident that the salt mix smelled like ammonia when I took the lid off.  So now all the water buckets are labeled and kept away from the laundry sink. 

Oh and I beat the housekeeper because you got to keep those bitches in line.  ;)

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
koop link said:
[quote author=jerry_doucette link=topic=3312.msg27823#msg27823 date=1350313721]

ph is over 8.8 but thats a high as my tester goes, salinity 1.028 , alk is over 300 that as high as i can test, temp 78
[/quote]

now that im home from work i can read this a bit better than on my phone,you state your alk is over 300,what test are you using?and what is the type of measurment is 300? ppm ? or worst yet  dKH?
your alk levels are tied in to your PH,high alk should eqate to high PH.here is a small read

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

mind you i do believe you can find all about the relation betweek alk and PH in the library here

R

reeffreak

Salty Cracker link said:
Swer to god one time my housekeeper used a water change bucket to mop the floor with.  I only noticed by accident that the salt mix smelled like ammonia when I took the lid off.  So now all the water buckets are labeled and kept away from the laundry sink. 

Oh and I beat the housekeeper because you got to keep those bitches in line.  ;)

made my day

Status
Not open for further replies.