Please Id This Strange Tube Worms?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
What is the tube like feather/anemone group of stuff in the middle of the picture a couple inches below the zoas and above the shrimp?

PjRvbmj.jpg

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Sponge are good I have plenty they do not bother corals but they won't let corals grow on them (from my experience)

Kman

Super Active Member
They are a hydroid and these ones are harmless filter feeders in my experence. I have had them for years and have never had an issue. They will not typically bloom to huge numbers.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
They are a hydroid and these ones are harmless filter feeders in my experence. I have had them for years and have never had an issue. They will not typically bloom to huge numbers.
They sprung up about a month and a half ago out of no where. Approximately dozen heads and they're in dark tubes and the heads retracted when I started my attack. I think I've eradicated them.

Kman

Super Active Member
That's to bad they are cool. I have had them for s long as i remember and never has an issue. They don't have a potent sting and have never bothered anything. They don't seem to grow below corals as they like open high flow areas.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
That's to bad they are cool. I have had them for s long as i remember and never has an issue. They don't have a potent sting and have never bothered anything. They don't seem to grow below corals as they like open high flow areas.
Really weird, how they showed up so quickly and then just stayed like that. No more heads or length. They liked the spot and opened up really good. How in the heck did I get them? Wonder.

Josh

i had the same thing happen. 0 changes to aquarium for 6 months then baam i had a small colony. I basically just scrubbed them off and that was the last i saw of them

Kman

Super Active Member
I find the numbers fluctuate from a good amount to almost nothing but have never gotten out of control for me. The numbers always seem to keep in check. So they will look like they are gone and then one day poof you will see them. I have had them near sps with no issues as the sting on them is very low. A lot of people think hydroid and freak out, in most cases they would be right but not with these guys.

Josh

honestly they were SUPER easy to kill off. I think i had a colony the size of puck and it took 2 cleanings and maybe 5 mins tops both times to finish them off. So letting them grow if they dont spread fast probably isnt a huge risk of having something get out of hand.