Plz help me get rid of Cyanobacteria Bacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overon

Website Affiliate
Just so all details are known. Tank is 4 months old have alot of corals and 1 anemone. For fish I have a manterian goby sand shifting goby 4 clowns. Two cleaner shrimp 4 peppermint shrimps. 2 sand shifting stars fish plus 20 differant types of sail and 6 red legged hermit craps. Tank size is 55 gallons with a 20 galan sump refugium. I also use to hang on the back filters for exta filtration. I have put a skimmer in last month really good one able to hand more then double my size. Diablo 160xs which is really hard to find a good one to fit in the model 2 sump that I bought. I have powerhead that give enough flow never have and growth ion sand except this Cyanobacteria Bacteria that just started last month. I feed frozen misis and brine shrimp. Giving hlf a cupe of one per day switching back and forth. Light is 2 t5 bulbs and keep on for 8 hrs. My refugium is looking very red and tank now is starting to spread. I  have tried water change once a week a 5 galon change that is. Also making sure to not leave light on tank for more then 8 hrs. Refugium light on 24/7. I cut there food down from one cube to half. I cant clean rocks to many corals on them to bring out of water. I know this happens to alot of new tanks under 6 months but I cant just add doses without hurting the tank. Nothing is doing bad everything is very happy. All tests perfect just that damm stuff that turns to bubbles at night and then comes back in morning. Plz help get my tank back to shape. I know alot to read just wanted to give as much details to help you make a plan of assessment.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Missing information.

Tests are okay according to what test kit and what are the results?

What water are you using for water changes and top up?

I think that will help the guys answer you a little better

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Overon

Website Affiliate
You are right. I only use ro water and add essential element dose once a every water change and using the API Reef Master Test Kit (Liquid).

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Them I think it could be many things. But first get a proper test of your water. Accuracy with an API kit is like accuracy of a hung over hill billy hunting with a hand gun.

Also RO water typically had extra crap in it. Where are you getting the RO water and is it 0 TDS?

Dosing is most likely not needed in your tank either.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I cant get rid of mine yet. I turkey baste it to hell off the rock.      But i got a rodi thingy coming so ill  see if that helps    ..do it do it all over r rock or just same rock ?...mine is always on this one rock  so it must be leaching where yu cant baste it

xxmurrxx

I have used in the past, chemiclean red slime remover... was scared as hell to try it but it did work and did not seem to bother anything in my tank (fish nor coral).

Although if you don't get to the root of the problem it'll just come back.

I started getting it after slacking and not rinsing my frozen foods. Cant say 100% this was the cause, but I stopped doing that and have not had any since.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
How old are the bulbs in your light fixture? Were they new 4 months ago or did you buy it used?  Sometimes Cyano starts up when the bulbs are getting older.  Mine improved when I changed the light bulbs as well as using PhosBan.

H

HockeyBen

+1
yveterinarian link said:
How old are the bulbs in your light fixture? Were they new 4 months ago or did you buy it used?  Sometimes Cyano starts up when the bulbs are getting older.  Mine improved when I changed the light bulbs as well as using PhosBan.

My outbreak last year seemed to be a combination of things.  Bulbs, flow and my water supply.  I had installed new bulbs, and did a water change with new filters in my RODI unit.  I didn't have a TDS meter to check my water supply and had assumed my water was good and it wasn't.

I left my lights off for 3 days and had my tank in complete darkness also - my outbreak was nearly gone.  I vacuumed up any trace amount left over and I haven't had a break out since (nearly 14 months and counting now).

Overon

Website Affiliate
They were new when i got them. So now they be 4 months old.Would love to add more lights but because of the canopy it is hard to fit it over them.

spyd

Super Active Member
What type of bulbs are you using? In the mean time, I would cut your lighting back in your sump to 12 hrs a day. 3 days without any light and a lot of siphoning out of the cyano.  Also, use a turkey baster to blast your rock. Do u rinse your frozen food before feeding? That can addd a lot of extra nutrients in your tank that you really don't want. Finally, I would run some carbon, stop feeding brine shrimp as it lacks nutrients and purchase a DI canister for your RO unit.

I would also consider selling off one of the Sand sifting starfish. There's not enough for 2 of them to feed on in a 55g tank.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Phosphates were off the chart on my red sea kit. Tank looks great, other than the red. Lots of flow, etc etc.  Everything looks great, just killer phosphates. Advised to rinse if using brine and has omega flakes with garlic to feed as well.

Going to hook him up with some ro/di a soon a he can get some buckets together. Maybe tlf150 with a small amount of gfo? A little husbandry and patience, with good new water should clear right up.

Also noticed some green hair algea, had a nice looking cuc, maybe get some Mexican turbos to clean it all up a little.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
When my red slime was at its worst my phosphates were ~.78 ppm.  That's why the red slime remover I was using would work...but it would always come back.  GFO would be a very good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.