Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic

MeridiaRose

I recently (a couple months ago) had an ich outbreak in my main system. At the time I didn't have a QT and very quickly lost all but two of my fish. The remaining fish are a Yellow Tang and a Niger Trigger.

I didn't have a QT or a container that I could place the two fish in, to treat separately so I sought out methods to treat the tank. At the time the only coral I had in the tank was a Kenya tree, the only inverts I had were a snail, a conch and a sea urchin.

I did a bunch of research came across this product - Polyp Lab's Reef Safe Medic, I figured I would try it out and I've had great success so I thought I would post a product review. This is my first review so please bare with me.

From Polyp Lab
Where I purchased from - JBL Aquatics Price: $47.95 plus shipping
Where I got the idea - Farm Boy Reef

Product Description from the box:

Medic is a highly effective water conditioner used to control external fish parasites present in both marine and freshwater environments. It contains a reef-safe oxidizing agent and is particularly effective against Marine Ich. Completely reef-safe, buffered to maintain physiological ph, does not harm invertebrates and does not harm nitrifying bacteria.

Comes with:
  • the meds
  • a scoop to measure the correct dosage
  • instructions
Dosage:

One level scoop of Medic for every 50 gallons of your system volume twice a day for a minimum of ten days. For more serious problems use 3 level scoops for every 50 gallons. Continue dosage for a minimum of 10 days to a maximum of 20 days. It's recommended to dose at least an hour before your lights turn on and at least an hour after your lights turn off

Product Performance:

At first I was very skeptical everything I had read about ich and how to treat it stated that I couldn't treat in the DT. This product however clearly states that it is reef safe and although I don't technically have a reef I do have a couple inverts in the tank.

I had a fairly severe case of ich, it had already killed my dog face puffer and both clownfish. I dosed with the recommended one level scoop per 50 gallons twice a day for 20 days. I figured if I was going to do this I would be aggressive in my treatment. I kept a very close eye on my fish and my water parameters, as the medication started to kill off the parasite, I noticed an increase in the ammonia level. I did one water change after the first 10 days and a large water change after day 20. I also increased the time my lights were off to help keep the fish calm and potentially increase the time the parasites were free-swimming.

It's been over a month since I did the last dosage and my fish have not shown any signs of ich since. In fact they stopped having the white spots on them around day 13, but I continued to dose until day 20. I have continued to keep a close eye on the fish and they are doing amazing. I haven't added anything to the tank yet and I'm using London Frag Fest as my marker for when I can even think about getting more live stock.

This experience has taught me that a QT is an invaluable part of having a saltwater system. I haven't been in the saltwater hobby very long less than 5 years. I've never run into an instance where I've needed a QT before, I've clearly learned the hard way.

All-in-all I would highly recommend Polyp Lab's Reef Safe Medic.

Edit: all the inverts survived the dosing and are continuing to thrive, I also tore down my 10 gallon coral tank and have added those corals to my main system, they are thriving and already look like they are growing.

nelson

I have used the same product. Thankfully none of my fish died. It didnt effect any of my coral or any of my starfish. I have had no issues with this product and I highly recommend it.

drjohndraper

Essentially, this product is crystalline hydrogen peroxide...H2O2,
Using the liquid is simpler and works just as well.( straight unadulterated hydrogen peroxide)
No problems in the reef tank and a large margin of safety.
We used straight h2o2, @ 5c.c.s / 150 gallon tank / bid. for a severe case of Velvet...also a protozoan parasite, like Ich, .....ended up losing one Ocillaris Clown and a Tomini Tang....no impact on corals...could have been much worse, all other fish cleared up unremarkably, except an Atlantic Tang that suffered gill damage..but lived.
Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Letsdiscus

I recently (a couple months ago) had an ich outbreak in my main system. At the time I didn't have a QT and very quickly lost all but two of my fish. The remaining fish are a Yellow Tang and a Niger Trigger.

I didn't have a QT or a container that I could place the two fish in, to treat separately so I sought out methods to treat the tank. At the time the only coral I had in the tank was a Kenya tree, the only inverts I had were a snail, a conch and a sea urchin.

I did a bunch of research came across this product - Polyp Lab's Reef Safe Medic, I figured I would try it out and I've had great success so I thought I would post a product review. This is my first review so please bare with me.

From Polyp Lab
Where I purchased from - JBL Aquatics Price: $47.95 plus shipping
Where I got the idea - Farm Boy Reef

Product Description from the box:

Medic is a highly effective water conditioner used to control external fish parasites present in both marine and freshwater environments. It contains a reef-safe oxidizing agent and is particularly effective against Marine Ich. Completely reef-safe, buffered to maintain physiological ph, does not harm invertebrates and does not harm nitrifying bacteria.

Comes with:
  • the meds
  • a scoop to measure the correct dosage
  • instructions
Dosage:

One level scoop of Medic for every 50 gallons of your system volume twice a day for a minimum of ten days. For more serious problems use 3 level scoops for every 50 gallons. Continue dosage for a minimum of 10 days to a maximum of 20 days. It's recommended to dose at least an hour before your lights turn on and at least an hour after your lights turn off

Product Performance:

At first I was very skeptical everything I had read about ich and how to treat it stated that I couldn't treat in the DT. This product however clearly states that it is reef safe and although I don't technically have a reef I do have a couple inverts in the tank.

I had a fairly severe case of ich, it had already killed my dog face puffer and both clownfish. I dosed with the recommended one level scoop per 50 gallons twice a day for 20 days. I figured if I was going to do this I would be aggressive in my treatment. I kept a very close eye on my fish and my water parameters, as the medication started to kill off the parasite, I noticed an increase in the ammonia level. I did one water change after the first 10 days and a large water change after day 20. I also increased the time my lights were off to help keep the fish calm and potentially increase the time the parasites were free-swimming.

It's been over a month since I did the last dosage and my fish have not shown any signs of ich since. In fact they stopped having the white spots on them around day 13, but I continued to dose until day 20. I have continued to keep a close eye on the fish and they are doing amazing. I haven't added anything to the tank yet and I'm using London Frag Fest as my marker for when I can even think about getting more live stock.

This experience has taught me that a QT is an invaluable part of having a saltwater system. I haven't been in the saltwater hobby very long less than 5 years. I've never run into an instance where I've needed a QT before, I've clearly learned the hard way.

All-in-all I would highly recommend Polyp Lab's Reef Safe Medic.

Edit: all the inverts survived the dosing and are continuing to thrive, I also tore down my 10 gallon coral tank and have added those corals to my main system, they are thriving and already look like they are growing.

Great write up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeridiaRose

Great! I hope it works out. It took a couple doses for it to look like it was working, don't stop the treatment until either the 10 or 20 day mark. Just because you can't see the white spots doesn't mean they are gone. In my case I wanted to be sure so I dosed for 20 days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Letsdiscus

Great! I hope it works out. It took a couple doses for it to look like it was working, don't stop the treatment until either the 10 or 20 day mark. Just because you can't see the white spots doesn't mean they are gone. In my case I wanted to be sure so I dosed for 20 days.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Got it thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk