Power Head Choices

Seasquirt

The Jebao issues continue. One of my Coral Box QP9 pumps has bit the dust as well as a Jebao CP40. I do still have a RW8 and the QP9 but I'm going to be looking for another power head.

In a perfect world I'd just order a couple if MP40 but that's not going to happen.
I was looking at the Nero 5, what do you all think about it and Tunze? What has happened to the interest in them?
Tunze were a very good choice but i never hear of them, i know that they are bigger but still a good pump. Right?

What do you think? Not Jebao, not any longer. Thanks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
On that size tank a Nero 5 would be great. It is cheaper then the Vortech, it is about the same footprint in the tank, it allows for some directional control and moves a lot of water for its size. I have Nero 3 on my nano and love it, about to add a second (or move my first one to a water change bucket as it is a demo model). Also to note Ecotech and AI is the same company, they merged several years ago.

I have also been hearing lots of good things about Tunze but also check out IceCap Gyre 4k Pump

Seasquirt

Thank you for your opinions, i am seriously thinking about the Mp40, i will consider the others that you mentioned.
I wanted to ask the MP40 users out there if they think the Ecotech pumps are the real deal.
I have an MP10 and in the 3 years that I've had it, I've had to replace the wet side and even the dry side has been making a noise off and on. So are they the best pump out there?

Dr. Zoos

I’ve had 4 different vortech mp power heads and personally would be my go to every time. Ok you can’t point them like some but the build quality and aesthetics can’t be beat. The look of no wires in your tank is partially why we have a sump.....(if anyone wants to argue this point, show me your 2 heaters that you have placed in your display and not your sump). They aren’t cheap though.

Cliff

I’ve had awesome success with tunze. They have been amazing pumps for me. Super controllable. Very well-built. And the best thing about them is they don’t need cleaned often. That may not seem like a big issue; but after having some gyre pumps and having to clean them every couple of weeks to keep them in optimal flow; you start to realize how good tunze pumps are. I have one pump in the back of my tank that the corals have grown over and I can’t get it out. It hasn’t been out of the tank in three years and it’s still going strong with massive flow

Seasquirt

Tunze? You say controllable. How? The ones that I've seen don't have controllers. Yes there are a few. Which would you recommend?

I read some reviews on the Neros and they weren't good., the gyres are great but too wide for the sides of my tank. Having the overflows in the tank cuts down on the sides for glass.
I really like the Mp pumps but for 500 a pop. They should be perfect and run for ever. Look at the Mp60 almost a grand. Decisions??