Protein Skimmer

Winks

Website Affiliate
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I have a Reef Octopus BH1000 on my 75g tank for about a month now. It seems to be working fine but only get "tea water " from it. From what I've been reading, it should be darker and thicker than that. I can't help but think something is not setup right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
It's sounds about right I have had tea like colour for like 5-8 months before I got darker it's either the skimmer breaking in , or your water is already pretty clean.

Kjmsmith

Agree it could just be the age of your tank but you also may have the collection container sitting too low so it is produces more of a wet skim. Try raising the collection container up 1/2" or so and see how that does. It should produce the darker, thicker "dry" skim you are looking for. I use the BH1000 on a 90g and I empty it about every 3 days, not because it's full but because of the gunk in it. Here's a pic of it currently to give you an idea...going to clean it now :)
RenderedContent-FB2238FB-955C-4C06-B4A0-04FCE20FFA63.JPG

heath

Distinguished Member
totally agree, I have the same one on my pony tank and had the same issues.. raise the collection cup...also, what do you have in the tank...

Winks

Website Affiliate
I have in the tank 3 Ocellaris Clown, 6 Chromis, Purple Dotty Back, Yellow Tang, Fox Face, Leopard Wrasse, 6 nassarius snails, LTA, BTA, and a Sand Sifting Starfish, and what I believe to be a small Kenya Tree Coral ( that hitchhiked it's way in on a piece of live rock). I don't think it's a huge load on the tank. I have raised the collection cup about 1/2 in. I will see if that helps.