Pruning Mangroves

zoomster

Hi all.
Just a quick question here. Some of my mangroves are getting pretty tall and I want to move them to a new floater as well. Can i cut the tops off them safely or, will i be harming them if I do?
Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Zoom.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
This is how I keep mine trimmed back. I just make sure I'm misting a fresh cut daily for a week.
e01e1b21c5e203ec49738d7f695c684b.jpg
ccb5b58c561d0abf338e230202c77b70.jpg
28beb1f86e7eed5ec74f1bf6b15d6136.jpg

Sony Xperia Z3

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
what if you cut like a couple of inches off one and put it in the water? wood it sprout roots and grow a new plant?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
These can not be cloned. The cut plant can not be put in salt water until healed. The plant itself can not process salt, that is why it excretes it out of the leaves. If the plant is 'wounded' the direct intake of salt water through the stalk without it being filtered through the skin would be too much and kill it off. Even if you break a large root off or gash them to deeply where they are submerged under water will kill them.

Where the trees are popular, people just walk along the beach and collect the pods by the hundreds. The only reason they really even have a cost is due to shipping them across the border.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The cloning has only been somewhat successful with mangrove trees, not the pods, these pods are decades away from trees. The act of just growing out a trimming isnt something that can be done, or at least not found at this point. They are studied a lot as school projects in Florida.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
This is how I keep mine trimmed back. I just make sure I'm misting a fresh cut daily for a week.
e01e1b21c5e203ec49738d7f695c684b.jpg
ccb5b58c561d0abf338e230202c77b70.jpg
28beb1f86e7eed5ec74f1bf6b15d6136.jpg

Sony Xperia Z3
This is the plant I pruned back in late Nov last year.
How it looks today
11327b33faae7d8e81c83d606f1db1fb.jpg

Hasn't grown much more in height. Maybe 3-4". But you can see how it's sprout new shoots which will eventually become branches.
Sony Xperia Z3

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
First time that I'm seeing this thread, and As a partial homegrown botanist myself, not a professional by any means here!!!!, but Ive had many years of clipping and grafting trees, shrubs, vegetables and (other) green plants(part time at a green house), so I'll chime in and say Mangroves WILL and CAN be cloned, it is pretty easy for them to root if done properly, I helped a buddy clone his about a year ago, 6 were cloned and 5 survived:), fresh water IS needed and a MUST!!, also a root hormone is needed( gel/power) gel works better from experience , 24hrs lights for at least a week or two before cloning, once you have cloned it, put it in a fresh water bath for at least 1-2hrs, this will help take out the salt in the fresh cut stem also help the clipping to start absorbing the fresh water, place a power head and heater in a tote or small tank basically anything that will hold water and be able to put a clear lid on, basically your making a hydroponics green house.
INSTRUCTIONS:
-24hr light 1/-2 weeks
-clip cutting on a 45degree angle with a least 2-3 sets of full leaves
-1-2hr fresh water soak giving the cut end a few light sqeezes while in the fresh water just before removing
- place 2 slices virtically along the original 45degree cut
-place cut end in root hormone for 1-2 min
- put cutting in a rock wool cube
-Place cube in tank/tote
-put enough water in tank to fill just 1/4-1/5 the cube you will probably need to suspend the cubes in the water coloumn to have enough room for power head and heater
-place lid on
-24hr light for clones
-t5 lights work best( 2bulb) 2-3" above lid
-remove lid every day or two for fresh air
- monitor water and temp. Levels constantly 78-80degrees 1/4-1/5 up the cube
- humidity around 80-90percent
-replace water every 2 weeks(max) with fresh RO
-within 5-8 weeks you should start to see a root ball forming at the cut, if not before that in two weeks it will start to rot away, at 10-12 weeks roots should start to come out of the cube, at that time the cube will have started breaking down, pull apart gently, plant as needed :), I'll see if he has any pics of what we did, if any other questions hit me up:)
For a first time ever cloning a salt water plant and having read up on it first id say 5 out of 6 is a successful cloning:)

Thx Sean

Last edited:

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
So what you are really saying here is that you are going to start cloning these? :D

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
If I had the room, time, tanks, even more patients and wife's approval, possibly?¿, but more than likely not:O, sorry buddy, I can see if my friend wants to clone anymore again, see if he would want to house a dozen or so... It's basically like doing daily tank maintenance, not hard but a chore after awhile:)