Purple Turf Like Algae?!?

Nelson79

Rest in Peace 08/06/2019
Need help! I’ve been getting this purple fuzzy algae that does not let up, and none of my cleaning crew or fish have much interest in it... have any of you dealt with this. It’s not a super fast growing algae it just really hard to manually remove does not just brush off easily
1bfecfb8916af03d77edc675992a2d65.jpg

hope the pic helps ID Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZMac

Ciano algae, there is a product called chemiclean that can clear it up. I havent used it yet. I usually use a turkey baster and suck it up. Do NOT blow it around your tank. Excess nutrients I believe is the cause.
My 2 cents. Gl.

Nelson79

Rest in Peace 08/06/2019
I don’t think it’s Ciano it does not blow off at all you can barely brush it off the rock with a Normal bristle brush

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have the stuff as well. I have used chemi-clean , but it removed the red algae that was rapidly covering my polyps and choking them to death but it didn't do a thing to the tuff algae stuff. I took a tooth brush to it and it didn't budge. Ive had it for well over 4 months but it doesnt seem to grow and spread quickly.

Nelson79

Rest in Peace 08/06/2019
I agree it’s a slow grower for sure. I’ve been searching web for things that eat it and all I find are Mexican turbos and pincushion urchin and maybe other type of urchins but not much care to eat it. I don’t have anything in tank right now that eats it so I will give those a try unless anyone has other suggestions?

EZMac

Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread.
I didnt see that it wasn’t coming off easily. Probably not ciano.
Could you try starving it from light for a few days? Turn rock over.
Gl.

Nelson79

Rest in Peace 08/06/2019
What do you guys recommend with lights out... what kind of intervals do you do recommend with lights on vs off?

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I had a bout of that of which I thought was cotton candy algae. I did a few hydrogen peroxide doses to my tank. After about 2 weeks it disappeared on its own.

Now if you also want to do some reading. Recently I have been reading up on using Fluconazole in aquariums for Briopsis and hair algae. Something like this might work but I believe you'd have to get it from a pharmacist. They are dosing 20mg for every gallon of water and a lot of people are having success with hair algae and Briopsis with no ill effects. The things people come up with are amazing.

Josh

I dosed flucanazole and it nuked my Bryopsis. Just follow 1 of the long guides its pretty safe/easy. I got mine from @BIGSHOW it was WAY cheaper than buying from a pharmacy

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I dosed flucanazole and it nuked my Bryopsis. Just follow 1 of the long guides its pretty safe/easy. I got mine from @BIGSHOW it was WAY cheaper than buying from a pharmacy
Ohhhh I didn't know big show got some. I was quoted 46 bucks for 2000 mg. I don't have a tank to test it out on but was going to try it out on some cyano to see if it also worked on that.

Josh

its an anti fungal medicine and cyano is a bacteria so i wouldnt think it does. Thats alot better pricing than i got. I think it worked out to like over 90 dollars to treat my aquarium, was ~30 with bigshow

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
its an anti fungal medicine and cyano is a bacteria so i wouldnt think it does. Thats alot better pricing than i got. I think it worked out to like over 90 dollars to treat my aquarium, was ~30 with bigshow
I understand it's for fungal but is briopsis and hair algae a fungus? As far as I'm concerned they aren't. I wonder about the science behind it. May be fun to look into what else it could help with algae wise.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Josh

Q: How does Fluconazole work?
A: Fluconazole blocks the enzymatic pathway for the production of ergosterol. Ergosterol is essential for maintaining the cell wall integrity of plants. Ergosterol (ergosta-5,7,22-trien-3β-ol) is a sterol found in cell membranes of fungi and protozoa, serving many of the same functions that cholesterol serves in animal cells.

Q: Will Fluconazole kill anything else in my system?
A: So far Fluconazole has not killed anything other than bryopsis and GHA. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING else is unaffected.