Question For Sump Pump

Luke.

Distinguished Member
So I’d like some input here , I was planning on getting a 125g 6’ long tank from big als and normally they would have 2 corner over flows like so
CCBDB302-AF08-4465-BEAC-B49116D981ED.jpeg

But I only want 1 corner on the left side to free up more place on the right so I know it will be a custom tank at that point . So from that left side to where my sump will sit will approx be 10 ish feet going horizontally and maybe a head night of 3-4 feet , so how much gph of a sump pump will I need and most importantly the sump will be behind / beside my living couch so would like some quite and again don’t want to pay an arm and a leg , so any ideas would be great thanks !

shamous113

What turn over rate do you want to achieve? most people say 5x-10x, When I was setting up my 150 I was shooting for 10x the display volume and ended up at about 8x.

I'm running a Jebao DCT1500 rite now and I have a spare sitting on a shelf. It's pretty quiet, I cant hear it over the skimmer noise. I figure that I have 8.5’ of vertical head pressure, I ran 1.5” spa flex up to a t and then 2 - 1” returns either end of my tank. I think I'm getting about 1200 GPH of flow from it. when your plumbing it try to run as much spa flex as possible, t's and elbows kill flow.

if your using 1.5" pipe then for your head loss i don't think you need to figure horizontal piping. Yes there is a bit of head loss due to friction, but not like gravity. Just figure vertical and elbows/fittings. Below are some hypothetical examples of head loss due to pipe size based on a pump rated for 3500gph @ 0'

Fifteen feet of 1/2" pipe would add 31 feet to your head pressure. Total head pressure: 46 feet (+306%)
Fifteen feet of 1" pipe would add only 3 feet of extra head pressure. Total head pressure: 18 feet (+120%)
Fifteen feet and 1.5" would add virtually no head pressure at all. Total head pressure: 15 feet (+0%)

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@shamous113 i looked at the jebao dc pumps from the reviews I heard the latest models apparently are solid and I have one of their rw8 powerheads so I assume the controller is the same . I’m thinking for the distance of the tank and only have 1 over flow a good turn over like you said 10x would be best . AND with a controllable sump pump I should be able to adjust it with the controller if it’s to much . There would be about 2-3 bends (around a corner wall to the sump) so use of a flex tube is better then a pvc elbow ?

Also I’m not sure what the biggest pre drilling factory’s will do , maybe 1” ? I’d have to find out but I’d assume bigger holes the better ?

shamous113

you can control speed and it has a 10min feed pause button. I didn't do bulkheads for my return I ran my returns up and over so I could put in a siphon break.

spa flex is better because its a long sweeping bend, but if your trying to keep it tight going around the corner of a wall then you will have to use elbows. a 1.5" dia 90 deg elbow adds about .5' of head pressure and on 1"dia pipe it adds 1' of head pressure. I would recommend running 1.5" for the bulk of the return plumbing if your going for 1200gph turnover. it’s easier to reduce it at the tank and if you get a different pump in the future then you can easily adapt the 1.5” where it connects to the pump. my dct1500 came with a 2"mpt on the out put side.

What drain system are you going to use? been animal?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
you can control speed and it has a 10min feed pause button. I didn't do bulkheads for my return I ran my returns up and over so I could put in a siphon break.

spa flex is better because its a long sweeping bend, but if your trying to keep it tight going around the corner of a wall then you will have to use elbows. a 1.5" dia 90 deg elbow adds about .5' of head pressure and on 1"dia pipe it adds 1' of head pressure. I would recommend running 1.5" for the bulk of the return plumbing if your going for 1200gph turnover. it’s easier to reduce it at the tank and if you get a different pump in the future then you can easily adapt the 1.5” where it connects to the pump. my dct1500 came with a 2"mpt on the out put side.

What drain system are you going to use? been animal?

I’m always torn on overflow box vs pre drilled

I just can’t have ANY water spilling everywhere and I haven’t fully learned that dangers between the choices I just want guaranteed safe.

And not to sure as of style what ever is cheaper tbh lol

shamous113

I did a 2"deep c2c with a external overflow with a bean animal. IMHO a Bean animal is the most redundancy that you can have it will cost you a bit more in plumbing initially but it's worth the peace of mind. you are more then welcome to come by and look at how I have my system setup.