Question

Seasquirt

I have an ATS ( Algae Turf Scrubber) that i will be using on my new set up in the new year.

My question is will Chaoto grow as well. It will be in a part of the sump, a different tank than the sump but still with in the water column. Under the 6 ft tank will be 2x 36 inch tanks. One 36x12x18 for Chaoto and Rock with baffles between them and that will flow into the 36x18x19 sump consisting of the skimmer, return pump with baffles between them. There will be room for more equipment as well and the ATS will sit above that tank because of the lights not being water proof. What do you think?

Josh

skip the chaeto and use the extra room for some liverock. I went a similar route to you and designed my system to handle any load. I had a full size skimmer, ATS, lots of liverock, i even had a gfo cannister and i found that much filtration caused its own series of problems. I suggest slowing it down a bit, i stopped using my gfo and my skimmer barely pulls anything anymore... the ATS handles the entire load of the tank. The skimmer is still nice to have because of the aeration and it will grab larger particles.

I suggest getting your ATS started ASAP, take a serated "steak knife" and scratch up the white plastic membrane in your ATS it will help it grow if the outter layer feels "scratched". The ATS will take a good 6 weeks to get started so its best to get that ball rolling as soon as you can. If you dont own a skimmer yet i would hold off on purchasing one and see how just liverock/ATS goes.

Filtration and technology have come so far that you can handle fairly high bio loads with fairly little space these days. You could rethink your options on that 2nd sump and do something cool like mangroves or a frag tank.

Seasquirt

The reason for the 2nd sump was for all the extra live rock that i have. Thats a good idea to scratch the plastic up. I bought a big Marine Block as well, be putting that in before the skimmer section. I do have a SWC 150 SSS its a bit under size for the 125 plus the sumps which will be atleast another 40 gl of water.

I know the Scrubber will have an impact. I'm just not sure of how much.

Seasquirt

I also have a 15 gl column tanj that i could utilize as a tank for my two Phosbon rx as well as dosing 3 part in that tank before it drains into the reyurn pump area. I'll have to drill it but thats ni biggie. I'm going with two drains on 1 end of the 125. One draining directly into the sump with the skimmer. I'll put my rock in there taking up half that sump and the other drain going through the column tank to the return pump.

Not sure if I'm gonna go with a Calcium RX, old school but they work or dose 3 part B-ionic.

Seasquirt

Hi Josh. The Frag tank is not worth it to me. No one wants to travel to Wingham to buy frags. I could have a frag shelf in the display. Mangroves interest me.
I read a thread about a guy incorporating his ATO with helping to grow the Mangroves. Any ideas or are you into the Mangroves. I was actually thinking that I'd need a 2nd skimmer for my system.

I know the Live Rock helos considerably.