Question

Seasquirt

I felt that my substrate wasn't enough and besides that it was blowing around too much in the front and i had 30 lbs of a courser grade so i put it in on top of what i had.
My question is, i knew it was going to turn brown because of the silicate in the sand.

How long does it take to get white and is there anything i can do to speed the process up.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It will probably never be white especially if it is a crushed coral substraight. A good clean up crew will go a long way. One of my favorites for keeping my 120 looking good was a sand sifting goby.

PS, there is not really anything in this hobby that has a way to speed up the process. Almost anything that speeds things up will have negative affects on your tank in the long run.

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
My experience with my first diatom bloom when I was starting my reef saw the diatoms in spots rather than a full tank carpet (on Caribsea aragonite) for a month and a half. I don't know if that was the end of my cycle and the diatoms were getting out competed for nutrients as I got my water chemistry dialed in, or if it was cut short by my CUC, in particular as @TORX said, I got a sand sifting goby (sleeper gold head goby) and a bunch of nassarius snails, which both stir the sand bed.

The nassarius don't have a down side ime apart from occasionally being murdered by hermits for their shell, and the odd "bad batch" where one died and I had to fish it out to keep from spiking my ammonia, but a caveat for me was that the sleeper LOVES to bury stuff, at least it did when it was still digging its burrows. I would have to tip over LPS colonies and hold them in front of a low power pump to clear out all the rocks, and used a long coral feeding tube to blow the sand off hard or fixed coral. Now that it has settled in a home with my firefish, I can do the dusting of coral much less frequently. I also made sure to grab a batch of cope+roti pods so it wouldn't starve before it started taking prepared food. Now it's a pig with the rest of the fish and my 'pods are multiplying on their own, and my substrate produces most of the glare in my photos.

Seasquirt

Sand sifters are not welcome here, yes they do a great job but picking up sand then dumping it on Corals is a sure way to lose Corals, Nassarious snails would be great if you can find them, there aren't any where I've shopped, you're right no quick fixes. Thanks

I guess my cuc will get it eventually.