Radion Users...set Up Question

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just wondering what intensity and/or schedule you are running with what tank depth.

Right now I am running the Coral Lab at 90% intensity, so on the graph it peaks at 54% intensity. Lights are approx. 9" above the water line and tank is 24" deep. Tank is a standard 120 4x2x2'. The tank is adjusting to a few new changes, I know, not a good idea. I am going back to biopellets and HC GFO plus the new lights. I have lost a lot of SPS and some others are not looking too good. Wavy shit are not fully extended either. Am I cooking them or choking them out?

lightschedule.jpg

Mark092

I'm not sure if I have just been doing it wrong the whole time, but I adjust the yellow slider bar for my overall intensity. I have mine at 40% right now, at about ~11". At 40%, when I hover over one of my set points on the graph, the intensity shows 26% max in the little box that pops up (not really sure what this means). I bleached and killed a few corals when I moved and it was only at 55% I believe.

shiftline

Website Affiliate
The Lower % when you hover is of the overall fixture. The 40% on the side is overall of your schedule

Radions are powerful lights. When it doubt use the acclimation mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thehvacman

Mine run at about 10” off the water. I run the coral lab ab program at 55%. And that is plenty for sps. I would say you were cooking them. You can slowly ramp them up to 100%, but slowly! There are a few people running them at 100%. And their corals look amazing so it can be done. Good luck.

TheGreenStag

I am running mine at 75% overall with their Sps AB+ schedule with a slight tweak in the evening so I can enjoy colours. My lights are 9” above the water surface. My rocks are stacked 12-14” below the water surface so overall the corals are about 22-24” away from lights. On top of my 3 radions I also supplement light (3 hrs daily) with a dual strip of T5 HO. Corals are all happy and growing. Last weekend I borrowed apogee par meter from Canada corals and I tested the par at various depths particularly when my radions were at 75% + the T5 were ON as well (so max light output). I have attached the picture to give you an idea of what pat readings you can expect.
9f40ccb8a44f4787f0be7d449dc69a04.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Now that is some great information. Thank you. I wish I had someone around here to borrow a PAR meter from. That would be ideal for sure, but this gives me a good idea on where to work off of for mine until I am able to get my hands on a meter. Thank you @TheGreenStag

TheGreenStag

Now that is some great information. Thank you. I wish I had someone around here to borrow a PAR meter from. That would be ideal for sure, but this gives me a good idea on where to work off of for mine until I am able to get my hands on a meter. Thank you @TheGreenStag

You are welcome buds. Yes Radions are strong they made them to match up the spectrum of a 250-400 Watt Metal Halide. Often people post their intensities they run their radions but what is more important to know is how shallow/deep their tanks are, placement of corals from the surface as well as from the lights. I think you should start at 60 and gradually go higher every week until you find the sweet spot. I have seen your tank on YouTube. Mine is 75% because when I go any higher corals show signs of stress and it was also proven further when I got my hands on the par meter. Ryan at BRS in one of his video mentions the sweet par rating is between 250-350 and if you can see from the above pic most of my corals are in that range. Sorry for the long boring post