Raw Calcium Question

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Any of these ok to use in our reef tank ?

Attachments

• 5BCE74DC-4E16-48A6-8F01-A9D39B3402A3.png
    5BCE74DC-4E16-48A6-8F01-A9D39B3402A3.png
    281.9 KB · Views: 81

Matt1997

The last is the commonly used calcium chloride and produces a bit of heat when water is added. Being pelleted it’s likely very similar as to what’s purchased in bulk at reefsupplies. It works well. The other options are hydrous calcium chloride and won’t produce heat. If they are pure enough all can be used without issues. Seeing as they are lab grade, I wouldn’t hesitate.

expect a slight pink coloration in all of the above. This is completely normal.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
The last is the commonly used calcium chloride and produces a bit of heat when water is added. Being pelleted it’s likely very similar as to what’s purchased in bulk at reefsupplies. It works well. The other options are hydrous calcium chloride and won’t produce heat. If they are pure enough all can be used without issues. Seeing as they are lab grade, I wouldn’t hesitate.

expect a slight pink coloration in all of the above. This is completely normal.

The last one on that list was the one I was going to use I just thought it was pricey and the others may be cheaper just wasn’t sure if it would work for my 2 part or not ?

wtac

You can use any of them but when you start to calculate concentration of the dosing solution or amount to "spike" the system, you have to factor in the water attached or your numbers will come out lower than actual by about 5-10%.