Reef Diaper

Jason Bell

Anyone heard of them or tried them? I placed an order, figured why not as I always toss my socks. Good idea and the socks are about $1/each. They should arrive this week, didn't think I would be changing diapers again at 50.

Tim A

Anyone heard of them or tried them? I placed an order, figured why not as I always toss my socks. Good idea and the socks are about $1/each. They should arrive this week, didn't think I would be changing diapers again at 50.
Where Did you find these? Anywhere in canada? Or just amazon.com ?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Also, do you know if they bio-degrade in the landfill?

That is the million dollar question. It is not listed on their site but I am putting in an inquiry. I did find that it is made of a polyester material. Most polyesters are listed as non-biodegradable, meaning that it may take anywhere from 20 and 200 years to break down if it's put into the landfill. It is something to think about when you are going to go through at least 1-2 a week. Some people with multiple socks could to through many more a week. In todays environmental climate issues directly related to this hobby, it is important to know what you are buying.

Here is the product if anyone is interested. It is a very good idea...

Last edited:

Jason Bell

I go through 4-6 filter socks per week. Soon as I can get the dream box with the filter mat I am on it. I have been toying with the idea of making my own, but just don't have the time for such a project.

As for environmental and climate, the mind set in North America is always based on $$$. We should long ago have been burning garbage as they do through Europe, the steam runs the facility, it is a win win for everyone, but hey, politics, don't get me started.

Josh

Thats not a great sign as anyone that can tout biodegradeable usually shoves that info down your throat...... If it does come back as such then thats awesome and the person covering their marketing should be fired

Jason Bell

I saw an ad on a site, figured I would try them out. Bought the starter pack and an additional 30 refills. Should get them end of this week.

Jason Bell

Correct, was $112 total for starter kit which is 2 sets of rings and 10 filters then I added 30 extra, so 40 filters or $2.80. They are going to be in Canada at some point from the posts that I read, they have shipped says Thursday arrival.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Response. It went to my spam so I missed it from a few days ago. They were quick to reply.

"Currently the filters are not biodegradable. The flanges are reused and only the light weight element is thrown away. I have talked with my supplier about biodegradable media and they don't have a readily available option for our application. We have a lot of requirements such as strength, formability, flow rate, etc.. I have tried some paper options, but they eventually fall apart. PLA might work, but it currently comes from China, which I'm trying to avoid. Some domestic possibilities are hemp based with a biodegradable binder. There is definitely a demand for biodegradable filter media and I think it is just a matter of time before we have a solution. The larger companies that manufacture the roller filters might find a solution first. Let me know if you have any other questions."
Nice to see they are working on it. He is correct, the issue is also related to roller filters. Not always an issue for smaller tanks but when you start replacing a lot a week, that is a waste for sure. Not only the physical waste from throwing them out but the manufacturing process for material like this is a huge waste and over time when these finally do biodegrade (as all items will eventually) they become micro plastics which gets into our water system.

Jason Bell

The fit the sump no issue, I have a Bashsea model, last the same as my others and filter the same, better than the nylon reusable I tried.