Reef Temperature

Cliff

79-80

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 106
Mine's at 79-82. I'd like to drop it a bit but it's costing me a fortune to keep my a/c running to get down to these temps. Unfortunately the only place for my tanks is in the living room that gets the afternoon sun. I'll be happy when summer is over ... temp wise anyways. :)

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Mine's at 79-82. I'd like to drop it a bit but it's costing me a fortune to keep my a/c running to get down to these temps. Unfortunately the only place for my tanks is in the living room that gets the afternoon sun. I'll be happy when summer is over ... temp wise anyways. :)
Get a set of blinds or curtains for thst afternoon sun:)

Get a set of blinds or curtains for thst afternoon sun:)

I have blinds on the inside but have been thinking of getting some for the outside so it stops the sun before it hits the windows. It's generally fairly warm in my place no matter what though. Which is great for the reptiles but no so much for the reef tanks. Although I recently read somewhere that temps of 85 to 90 are not uncommon on shallow reefs. So I think I'm still within acceptable levels and everything seems to be doing fine. However I would prefer it to be a couple degrees cooler. I suppose the ocean heats up and cools down with the seasons as well though. ;)

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I have blinds on the inside but have been thinking of getting some for the outside so it stops the sun before it hits the windows. It's generally fairly warm in my place no matter what though. Which is great for the reptiles but no so much for the reef tanks. Although I recently read somewhere that temps of 85 to 90 are not uncommon on shallow reefs. So I think I'm still within acceptable levels and everything seems to be doing fine. However I would prefer it to be a couple degrees cooler. I suppose the ocean heats up and cools down with the seasons as well though. ;)

Although a shallow reef may experience a temperature of 85-90 for short duration's, there is no way it would thrive at those temperatures. (unless it was an adapted reef for that particular area). I can tell you that corals are collected and stored in temperatures not even close to that. If you check out some coral farms and you will see massive chillers and other things they use to keep temperatures low (74-77). A reef with an average temperature of 77 will not survive prolonged temperatures in the extremes (low or high) Thriving vs. surviving are a big difference.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
I am no way telling everyone to lower there tank temperatures. 77-78 is perfectly fine. I personally have not noticed any issues with going down to 74-75. It is also beneficial for me as we ship many corals across the nation and heat is a bigger killer then cold. By shipping at an already slightly lower temperature in the summer months does work to my advantage for the health of the coral. You could say I would have the opposite issue in the winter, but I find keeping a coral warm is much easier then keeping it cold.