ReefKeeper Probes

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ronmarsh99

Hi guys I'm looking at a used reefkeeper, But I've noticed in the picture the person has sent me the Probes are dried out.
Ph and Salinity
Do you think both will need to be replace?
Should all probes be keeped wet or is it just the PH probe that needs to be wet at all times?
Everything else looks to be in great shape.
Thanks guys.

P

phi delt reefer

ph probes need to be kept wet.  Right from the calibration instructions for the PH probe;

How to Calibrate pH on the RKE

Remove the protective cap and thoroughly rinse the pH Probe in RO water.

[glow=red,2,300]Keep the pH probe moist. Do not allow the pH probe to dry out[/glow].

no clue about the salinity probe though if its the older its junk. They re-designed those probes last year but they were difficult to source. 

Also note the SL2 module went through a revision sometime last year - I "believe" the new modules will only accept a proprietary PH probe and there were some changes to the internal electronics (no clue as to what they changed for they remain hush-hush about it)

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/28/digital-aquatics-sl2v2/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/02/06/digital-aqautics-sl2-v2/

another note on the salinity probe - I wouldnt waste my time real time monitoring salinity or ph for that matter. only way your salinity is going to drop huge is if you dump your entire ATO into the system. A high level float connected to your ATO pump will prevent that. Also keeping your ATO reservoir minimally filled (but constantly replenished) will  also make sure that if all the ATO water is dumped in, it wont be enough to heavily impact the tank.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ya for sure, I keep a 10g top off tank, I wouldn't want bigger, I had my ato pump all 10g into my tank once, was enough to cause my skimmer to mess up but nt enough salinity change
to kill anything thankfully

Status
Not open for further replies.