Removed Overflow

Jewel

After removing the over flow on my tank, I'm left with the marks on the glass from the sealant, Is there a way to remove the mark, I've tried a razor and also vinegar but theres still a faint line seen, it's like its etched in the glass. the glass is 1/2 thick. oh I removed in because it was an internal overflow and want to drill it for an external overflow box. any ideas?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just selling off his stock to re-set up again later :)

Use some kind of solvent like acetone. Start with scraping it more with the blade at different angles, then move on to the paint thinner aka acetone. Then you need to buy a whole lot of elbow grease and use it all up plus more. :)

Jewel

Oh Mark that's so dramatic LOL, Acetone? won't that scratch or worse? I'll try it, Pulp as I said before nobody wants to pay for a great tank and i'll be damned if I'm gonna give it away. Now that the tank is empty I'm gonna drill it on the back or the end and put on an external over flow and eventually set it up again.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
+1 torx elbow grease and rasor will get off the bulk but the residue will remain i use the green sos pads and methylene chloride but is not convenient to buy at 4 litres minimum acetone works well just takes a bit more but health wise alot safer, methylene chloride is really nasty stuff.... only way to get a scratch is if the razor is not flat which can be buffed out in about 25 min if not too deep

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I would imagine once the tank is full of water again it will be hardly noticeable as well, especially on the back pane of glass no?

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I'd say leave it before you do anything drastic and scratch it or do something that WILL be visible down the road.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
dollar store scraper and acetone just keep it flat...... my 10 yr old helped me strip when i did my frag tank if he can manage with no scratches im sure you can as well.... you pretty much have to do something really stupid to make a scratch..... any sponge with a scrubby or sos pad wont scratch glass infact i use sos as a final for buffing out scratches after the abrasive pads