Return Line Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxmurrxx

I purchased a reef ready tank and it came with the durso, and return standpipes.
On the return 90 fitting right before the lock line it has a hole drilled in it, is this just for siphon break purposes?
Any problem replacing that with a non drilled 90 fitting and having the lock line fittings break siphon?
The water coming out of it creates a pretty loud waterfall noise.

Seggsy

Hey Matt, glad you finally got the tank - can't wait to watch the set up.

I guess the only concern is that wherever the siphon break is, you need to make sure that if the return pump goes, your sump has the capacity to accept all the extra water that will get drained until the display reaches the siphon break.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Anything that is just at or below the waterline in the tank works, but don't trust the little baffled slits in the loc-line fittings, they clog up with calcium and algae very easily.  If those holes in the loc-line sit at the right level for you, you can drill one out that is just below the water line so it is big enough not to clog up.

xxmurrxx

Yeah, Probably best to leave it, I put some filter floss over the hole got rid of the noise  :D

Just need to figure out the drain now, water entering the sump is pretty loud... Almost had a flood playing with the valves to quieten it. lol

Going to grab some pvc fittings tomorrow and try and work something out where the water enters the sump.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Something like this maybe? Possible run the bottom "T"  1 1/4", rest of the pipe is 1"
file-29.jpg

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
mine goes directly into a sock on one side and the other goes below the waterline where my skimmer pickup and bio pellet outlet is ,very quiet and a foam insert can be put into the open hole,my lights and skimmer make up what you hear on my system

xxmurrxx

Looks good pulp nice and simple compared to the frankenstein mess I have going on.
While messing around with mine I noticed I must not have my bulk head tight enough, it's leaking when the pipe gets moved  :?
I'll have to bust out the buckets, empty the tank, move it and tighten the bulk head... Good times.

I'm thinking of just putting the overflow pipe straight down with an air vent "T" attached instead of running the pipe all over.
Before I noticed the leak I could not really get it quiet.. I was either hearing the water  crashing in the pipe or having gurgles from the output.

Status
Not open for further replies.