Reuseing Sand

Seasquirt

What do you think, is it a good idea to reuse sand, substrate of any kind. It's pretty exspensive these days. Some will say heck yes just rinse it well. I'd be interested in knowing what you think and what's the best way to go about preparing it for it's new use? Thanks

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah rinse it really well, personally I'd run GFO on it for a couple of weeks, but I'm paranoid about phosphates, and I don't know if substrate even holds onto phosphate. I don't think sand would.

nanoreefwanabe

I just rinsed 200lbs with a garden hose until it ran clear, constantly mixing and stirring it with my hands...I did like 1/2 a 5g pail at a time... then I layed out a 10x10 tarp under my gazebo and dried it for a couple days in the sun...havent had any issues with it, been in my tank a year...my hanna checker tells my my po4 is 7ppb (I think that works out to like o.o1 which is actually lower than I would like.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I just rinsed 200lbs with a garden hose until it ran clear, constantly mixing and stirring it with my hands...I did like 1/2 a 5g pail at a time... then I layed out a 10x10 tarp under my gazebo and dried it for a couple days in the sun...havent had any issues with it, been in my tank a year...my hanna checker tells my my po4 is 7ppb (I think that works out to like o.o1 which is actually lower than I would like.

i did the same thing works great took a few hours max but definitely saved money