Rimless tank covers

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
A while ago I was asked to make a tank cover for a rimless tank. Easy, piece of plexi... But that won't work on our systems. Too much light loss when the water condisates on it. So, I started playing with mesh. The first one I did for a member here was pretty good. I wanted to make them look even better. Took a couple trips to the laser cutter to perfect the design (warped the first two from the heat of the laser).

So, I know I am beating the owner of this lid to posting, but hey. I will let him describe it to you when he see's I have posted.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Well that is weird... I put a link... Even previewed it to make sure it worked... Guess I need another drink...

Wow, had img tags with URL tags, and not sure what else... it was a mess. Fixed it, here it is.

Mesh-lid.jpg

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
teebone110 link said:
Looks pretty good, so it actually drops inside the top frame- sweet!

Yes. The tabs that keep it suspended are only 1/8" thick. I was trying not to disrupt the nice look of rimless tanks.

There is a spot for the power cords to sit in the back corner too. I have one possibly coming up that will have a ehiem auto feeder bracket worked right into it. With the tube for the food to sink, not skim to the overflow.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
teebone110 link said:
more close up pics whenever you get the opportunity

This was a phone picture sent to me. The persons camera is out for cleaning/repairs. I am supposed to get some more pictures once the camera is back.

Anyone that was at the "Toronto Frags" show could have seen this. I had it on my table.

spyd

Super Active Member
I love it!! How do you think it would work out on a 180G? 6ft L x 2ft W?? Would you see any issues with it sagging? I have a screen now but it looks like poop. I would love to have one that sits like that on my Euro bracing.

The kicker would be that my Euro-bracing is cut from one piece so the corners are slightly rounded. Would this be an issue? I will get dimensions over to you today yet.

Chrismayu

Website
reefsense.com
Thanks again for the lid.  I will send those pictures(better ones then above) once my camera gets back.

I have had it for a couple of days now and I am very happy with it and would suggest it to anyone who has a rimless like mine. 

I can send more pictures to anyone is interested also

Thanks again Jon

Chris

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Killer work. Interested in what a larger one would cost. Got a new run at work tgat starts next week, so new money to play with.  I will take measuements and send later

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
spyd link said:
I love it!! How do you think it would work out on a 180G? 6ft L x 2ft W?? Would you see any issues with it sagging? I have a screen now but it looks like poop. I would love to have one that sits like that on my Euro bracing.

The kicker would be that my Euro-bracing is cut from one piece so the corners are slightly rounded. Would this be an issue? I will get dimensions over to you today yet.

I round the corners already. I need to make sure the silicone wont' be an issue. When sending measurements, measure an even distance back from the corner. (1/4, 3/8 etc) that will clear the silicone, or bracing. I then just have the corner rounded when the file is being drawn.