Ro/di Tds Readings

Tim A

So, I started up my RO/DI which has not been running for a bit, I let it run for about an hour and took readings. My TDS meter is saying 5ppm. Is this good enough? Or will I run into problems. I believe i have a 3 stage system. 2 Large blue canisters on the bottom and 1 white cylinder membrane on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremyan7

You probably wont have a 0 reading unless you have a DI component. The problem with your 3 stage filter is that the membrane can get clogged easily with crud in the house water supply. This is why the majority of systems are 5 stages. It wouldn't be very expensive to add the DI chamber. Not sure about the second Carbon though.. I assume you have a particulate (5micron or similar) and a carbon block (either 5 or 1 ppm).

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Agreed. 5ppm is pretty close to typical from a unit without DI. May be on the good side being it is only a 3 stage. 5ppm is better then conditioned tap water. The only answer to your question would be if you had an analysis done on the water. There is no way of knowing what the 5ppm is nor how it would affect your tank without knowing what the 5ppm is. People do use conditioned tap that runs up in the hundreds ppm...so if you put that into perspective, your 5ppm is better then that, but not as good as 0ppm with DI.