Rodi Help- Di Resin Run Out To Fast

Wagonpitt

my tap is 450 to 500 tds. After sediment carbon and 2x75 membrane its 5-6 tds. But after di its still 1-2 tds with both inline and handheld.
Im only getting about 55-60 psi.

I just replaced within last 1.5 months all filters membranes and di resin. Ive only made about 150-200 gallon. I think im supposed to be getting many more gallons of 0tds after di resin when its only 5-6 tds going into di resin.

Any ideas ?

Anthony

I had a similar issue, burning through di resin,
Check the TDS going into your di resin when you start it up. If its high add a t and flush it until it drops to a lower number, your di resin will last longer

EZMac

How many stages do you have.
Mine was running out fast too. I put a new prefilter in. I ran 2 carbon blocks then through di resin.
Has been 0 since.

Wagonpitt

The unit has a flush kit aswell as 1 sediment filter , 1 carbon filter, 2x membrane and 1 di resin cartridge. All filters are new

Tap is 450-500
After sediment carbon and membrane and before di is 5-6 (thats over 98.5 rejection)
Final after di is 1-2

I flush for about 2 minutes befor water touches di resin. I mentioned tds going into di resin is only 5-6 which is pretty low already based on what ive read

Another carbon would probably help but doesnt change the fact that i think with 6tds going into di resin, it should be making 0tds water for more then 200gallon. tell me if im wrong maby im expecting too much

Wagonpitt

ive read people recomending waiting to switch filters until 10tds so i know 2 tds isnt huge deal but i really think it should be lasting longer at 0tds.

shamous113

what carbon block are you running? Waterloo region treats their water with chloramine not chlorine. Chloramine is tougher on ro systems and will break thru a standard carbon block quickly. Also is your DI resign packed tight?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Put a bypass in before your di resin.
When your membrane sits with no eater going though it the red creeps up. Usually will hit 150-250 tds on first start up. By passing such high tds through the di. It will exhaust it very quickly.

Every time my to unit starts up. I open the bypass and allow the first 5 mins of water out of the membrane to drain directly down the drain. While watching my tds. I only direct it to my di resin when I see a tds less than 8.

Since starting to do this, I've almost doubled the life of my di resin.

S8

Wagonpitt

Im using the chlormine carbon block from reef supplies. I used a beer bottle and kept tapping and shaking to get resin as tight as posible. No visible settling or channeling.

Eric isnt that what the flush feature is doing ? Bypassing di resin and flushing membrane ? When i turn my tap on i open flush on rodi unit. At this point the tds reads really high. I leave it for 2 min. By that time it drops to low teens out of membrane so i close flush. it takes couple more minutes for it to hit 6.
so the highest tds going into my di resin is only ever aprox 15 tds for Max2 minutes as it drops to 6. Not the starting 200+ tds water that is dumped during flush.

Maby i missunderstand how the flush works since ur the second person to say add the T but i think they both do the same thing

Wagonpitt

It roughly 57psi. But im not sure what thats measuring.
The meter has a T 1 line comes from membrane 1 line comes from carbon. I assume this means 57psi going into di resin ? Im not sure exactly.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That sounds good. Low water pressure can cause filters not to work to their full potential. You should be good there though.

Not sure how I missed that in your original post :/

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wagonpitt

Sorry never saw your question. It was the bulk di from reef supplies. Apparently other people specificaly from waterloo region have had issues with it before. There is a thread on it if you search. I guess most water comes from grandriver and is dirty. Also if your in ayr maby you have a well depending on your house and apparently that causes high co2 and di runs out fast. Do your own searching because this is all stuff ive been reading recently so im not the best person to ask.

I just got a new spectrapure silicabuster di cartridge and maby this one will last longer.

@EricTMah was right there is a difference between flush valve and di bypass and apparently every every tds shortens the lifetime of di by that much. So if its 12 tds instead of 5 tds going into di that means di gets used up 7 times faster then it should be.

So i bought a Y spliter and 2 valves this way i split ro water and close di valve for bypass. Then close bypass and open di once tds hits 5-6.

Im pretty sure i put tds meter first thing after ro and then the y spliting di input and bypass. Am i right ?

Wagonpitt

Also just switched the di after posting that and noticed that the old di resin was actually very loose and not compact at all. I easily squeezed it and shook it and di was tossing around. Obviously i didnt pack tight enough and even though there was no visble chaneling it must have been on the inside. So maby that was my problem maby it Wasnt packed tight enough. Ill see how this silicabuster lasts and after it i might try the bulk di again and make sure i really really really pack it in. Still going to use the di bypass though.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Also just switched the di after posting that and noticed that the old di resin was actually very loose and not compact at all. I easily squeezed it and shook it and di was tossing around. Obviously i didnt pack tight enough and even though there was no visble chaneling it must have been on the inside. So maby that was my problem maby it Wasnt packed tight enough. Ill see how this silicabuster lasts and after it i might try the bulk di again and make sure i really really really pack it in. Still going to use the di bypass though.
That is very likely the cause.

Wagonpitt

Yeah i think so. Noob mistake it was my first time packing the resin. And i though it was "extra" resin that i threw out because it didnt fit.
Lesson learned for next time.

Wagonpitt

Yeah ro performance is good even drops down to 3tds sometimes. Just wasnt happy with di but ive learned that was most likely my fault

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I actually hooked my DI canister up backwards first time I hooked it all up. Couldn't get 0TDS to save my life. Blonde moment. Didn't figure it out until I was ready scrap the system and just happened to notice. Ah well, I ended up with 2 DI stages out of it :)