Rounded Tank Stand Corners

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Finally found and bought a 6ft tank. Had to compromise with wife and ditch the peninsula plan (for now )
21b8a22436851be3a5ae24c64623c0a1.png

My wife and I agree on one thing: the stand is horrible! I intend to build a new stand and canopy, but am not quite sure how to continue the rounded corners on the front of the tank. Largest quarter round i can find is 15/16". I've not picked up the tank, so not sure if that will be big enough. If it's not, anyone know another method/material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamous113

You can use product called wiggle board, its a flexible ply wood about 1/4" thick, make a form and glue 3 layers together with white PVA glue.

George Guenzler and sons in Kitchener may have something or the can do custom turnings, any shape or size and they will sell to the public. http://www.guenzler.com/

Pipes

When building the new stand, if you use 2x4 lumber, build a "L" shape, and place a 2x2 inside of the "L". Then use a hand plane to strip down the corner to the desired curve. A 4x4 would work too, but you want something that doesn't have knots in it. A little labor intensive, but builds character.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Anybody have a lathe that could turn two corner posts for me? I considered picking up a used one, but can't think of a single reason i would ever use it again!

Deptron

If your using something like good one side plywood, you could cut grooves in the back side of the plywood 3/4 of the way through, from top to bottom every 1/8"-1/4". You should be able to then bend the plywood around the corner.

SpongeAl

For a one-off DIY project like this for a guy without a lot of tool and material resources, I would just use a 80 grit belt sander to rough out the radius then finish it up with some 120 grit paper on a hard sanding block. (Scrap of wood.) It actually wouldn't be too hard to do.

Home depot sells that 3/4" Maple veneered plywood, so if you found a bit of solid maple for the cornerson kijiji or whatever, you could have a relatively seamless, simple construction.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I was going use 3mm birch ply formed around ribs for the corners. but instead opted to just go with the style I've used for my stands in the past. I've also decided to run the corner trim from the the bottom of stand to top of canopy, so the rounded corners won't even be visible. Hard to explain, but will make sense once finished!