royal gramma purple heart??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazybizzle

ok so my gramma that ive had for a year has been m.i.a. for 4 months so i assumed him dead tday i found him kinda swimming in the back  he is missing his tail fin and a side fin so im guessing 4 months ago he played with the powerhead that i had placed near his cave cause he was always active before this

thing is it looks like his fins are healed up where they were chopped at and looks like its possibly growing back. lol is this even possible??  should i try to catch him and flush him or let nature take its course and have his die off in the tank?? i mean seriously i think hes been alive the last months with just one fin wtf...??

Seggsy

I had a similar dilema with a silver dollar years (OK, decades) ago.  He was getting picked on, and at one point had NO fins.  He would float sideways most of the time, and could propel himself by wiggling his body like crazy, so he could actually eat, but then would float again.  I was ready to flush him several times. 

The little guy actually grew his fins back over a couple of months and lived for years!  He must have gained some street cred for recovering, because the school of the 3 got along great after.

Still a huge long shot, but I would give him his chance.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Most fish will grow their fins back as long as it is not right down to the body.  Just make sure you keep the stress level down and the water quality good.

Seggsy

If you want, I can throw him in my frag tank - give him back to you if he recovers (give him to the CBS in there if he doesn't)?

C

crazybizzle

ok good well good to hear that his fins will grow back in time, which it looks like its been doing cause theres some stringy stubs at the base of his tail where i can tell where it got chopped causse i can see the heal marks

thanks seggsy but if hes lasted this long like this im gonna let it ride and keep my fingers crossed

G

Gietz

Give it the purple heart and a Band-aid then send it back into the battle.  I'd say the quote "you may take our lives but you may never take our freedom" but seeing as it was taken from the ocean it's freedom is gone and for the simple fact it survived it would prefer to live.... 

Keep it around

C

crazybizzle

not really sure , he went back into seclusion into his cave and theres no way to see in without reaquascaping .  probaly will catch a glimpse in another couple weeks if he still is pulling thru......but i really am thinking that maybe it wasnt a powerhead but something in the tank, everything i have is reef safe but maybe theres a hidden predator because iam now missing 3 anthias and a cromie thats been mia for awile..all other fish are fine but the ones that disapeer seem to be the fish that go into caves to sleep?????hmmmm

G

Gietz

did you check your tank out with a flash light at night? maybe the "thing" comes out at night? im sure if you look closely at night you will see something if its in your tank! I read somewhere that brittlestar if there are big enough will come out of the rock work and eat fish in caves? 

i dont know but intereted to know if you really have something.  could be a good thread starter lol 

Status
Not open for further replies.