Salt Ato And Ro Ato

mmckaig

I would like to setup some code to tell my system to shut off the RO ATO and run a SW ATO when the cond probe is at a set number.

I appreciate that there is a lot of danger in this since the probe isnt perfect BUT, I travel a lot and I am OK with automation... Besides, who doesn't look at the fusion panel on their phone at least 3 times a day... I can watch the cond numbers and go back to RO ATO any time.

I have set of switches in my sump as well a DOS doing water changes.... I have double checked the calibration of dos and it is spot on so, I am not 100% sure where the issues are, regardless, topping off with salt seems to be the right thing for me to do.

Anyone else doing this and have some sample code?

MAtt

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
If your salinity is correct and your ato is set. Then the only way your conductivity should drop is if you had a leak and your ato is still topping up.

Then having a saltwater top off is the least of your worries.

Salt will not evaporate. Only H2o will evaporate. Hence the fresh water in the ato reservoir.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
If your salinity is correct and your ato is set. Then the only way your conductivity should drop is if you had a leak and your ato is still topping up.

Then having a saltwater top off is the least of your worries.

Salt will not evaporate. Only H2o will evaporate. Hence the fresh water in the ato reservoir.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
This is mine for ATO, the osc statement only allows it to run for 4 1/2 minutes every 240 minutes, the defer is in case it is bouncing.

Fallback OFF
OSC 000:00/004:30/240:00 Then ON
If ATO_sw OPEN Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON

You could use this with SW if you change the ATO statement to
If Salinity > what you want Then OFF
(not sure how you use SW ATO though as the salt does not evaporate so unless you remove SW you don't need to replenish it)

Set the OSC time to what ever time the pump needs to run to complete the task, in my case the pump needs to run 4 min 30 sec every 6 hrs to replenish my evaporation and the switch is back up to prevent overdose.

mmckaig

you are correct Eric. I dont have a leak.... I do have my skimmer drain running to to a drain, I am thinking that potentially the skimmer overflows every once and a while (creating a loss of salt water) and the Osomolator tops off that lost water with RO, diluting things... So, was thinking a SW ato via DOS which I have connected to a SW reservoir.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
you are correct Eric. I dont have a leak.... I do have my skimmer drain running to to a drain, I am thinking that potentially the skimmer overflows every once and a while (creating a loss of salt water) and the Osomolator tops off that lost water with RO, diluting things... So, was thinking a SW ato via DOS which I have connected to a SW reservoir.
I personally wouldn't do it. I don't trust those conductivity probes. IMO it was the worse purchase I made. Mine is out of calibration on a weekly basis.

To me, the chances of the probe being out is far greater than the skimmer over flowing. Especially if nothing has physically changed to cause the over flowing of the skimmer. ie. added food, hands in the tank, or anything else that would require that you're there to cause your skimmer to go nuts.

Just my opinion.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I run my skimmer to the drain as well and use a low level switch in my sump to shut it off if overflowing, it has saved me a couple times.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
What skimmer are you running? It seems like you have high end equipment, so I'm going to make this assumption and ask if it's possible to adjust your skimmer to run a bit less wet before you leave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
The conductivity on mine will change if I let a power cord touch the probe cord or it gets air bubbles on the probe itself. Something like a skimmer or return water from my DT for instance. The probe cord is very sensitive to outside interference. I try and let nothing touch it.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
The conductivity on mine will change if I let a power cord touch the probe cord or it gets air bubbles on the probe itself. Something like a skimmer or return water from my DT for instance. The probe cord is very sensitive to outside interference. I try and let nothing touch it.

I believe it will also not be accurate at all if there is any voltage leakage from other equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Yeah they need to shield them better. A ground probe in the tank helps but is not perfect.

Jewel

I wasn't thinking the cup drain, I was thinking the drain pipe exiting water from the skimmer. ( Skimmed Water ) Nobody said a Cup