Salty's 120/2020

Jason Bell

Hi Salty, as I understand and I believe I read before you run GFO and Carbon? If so, in reactor or more of a passive method? Are you using a refugium or algae scrubber growth device?

Setting up a new tank and want to get things in place before plumbing.

Thank you

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
GFO and carbon in phosban canisters, and I run pellets in a big reef octopus reactor chamber. The phosbans just have a little powerhead on them, and a mesh bag on the output to catch carbon dust.

I tell you though, right now I have a weird bit of algae that doesn't seem to care how low I drop the phosphates, it encapsulates bits of substrate and rolls around like tumbleweeds. I tell you, no matter how long you do this, the ocean will always come up with more surprises.

Jason Bell

I am on the right track then, I have 2 canisters for the new build, GFO and Carbon and currently employee pellets. I have a strange algae in the current tank, very slow spread and nothing seems to want to eat it. I was going to pick up a couple Mollys as I heard they enjoy various algae that tangs and the like do not.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I am on the right track then, I have 2 canisters for the new build, GFO and Carbon and currently employee pellets. I have a strange algae in the current tank, very slow spread and nothing seems to want to eat it. I was going to pick up a couple Mollys as I heard they enjoy various algae that tangs and the like do not.

Heh well let me know, maybe this is a strain of algae that's making the rounds through this group who knows. I'll take it anyday over dinos, so I'm not really complaining. Weird stuff though, even if I remove it from the tank and rinse it in fresh water, it doesn't disintegrate, so substrate replacement is likely going to be my method of dealing with it, just scoop it out and put in new sand, for as long as it hangs around...