Salty's "new" 125

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Mmeehh!!!, could look better!!, this is Glenn we are talking about here, :0 jk buddy everything looks awesome, can't wait for some new frags, lol, keep up the great work dude

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
fuel is usually once a week, and roids are usually 2-3 times a week. fuel in the morning because my skimmer doesn't run during the day (I think a lot of it ends up in the skimmer), and the roids at night when most of the powerheads are off.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So looks like all of the sps has finally started to either encrust or put off new growth tips. New colours look good, so far no big warning signs of algae or anything, but water changes seem to be appreciated. A couple of the colonies could be massive as they have room to grow this time around. The rock looks a bit bare, but I know that when corals took off they grew into each other so quickly, so I'm happy to leave it a bit sparce for now. It's weird the red dragon is just exploding, where it didn't really grow much at all in
the old tank...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Started with 6 down to 4, in my experience that will end up being 1. However so far they seem to be getting along. I should just get a tank full of sergeant majors. :)

ColbytheClown

What's "PE"? What percentage of WC's do you do on this tank? Why didn't you cure your live rock from your old tank if there was a chance it could spike a HA bloom? What is DI resin? Newbie here...

Last edited:

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
PE is polyp extension, which is usually a good sign that your coral is happy, and looking for food. For a millipora, that means they look hairy and less stick like. For water changes I do 5 gallons of 0TDS RO/DI water every other day. Live rock from old tank would have a bit of die-off, but because I ran an ultra-low nutrient system (aggressive use of hi-cap GFO), the rock would be almost 0 PPM of phosphate, so no bad algae would grow off it, and almost a 0% chance of a HA bloom. The bit of HA I did get was from rock I bought second hand, and obviously had a bit of phosphate in it. Lastly, DI resin is De-ionizing resin, which brings the water coming from your Reverse Osmosis system from say 10 ppm (parts per million) of "unknown" particles, down to 0 parts per million, meaning the water I put in the tank is 100% free of any kind of contaminants of any kind. I understand that drinking 0PPM water would eventually kill you, as there is nothing in there for the body to absorb (salt, minerals, etc). Basically the only thing you are putting in your tank is the salt mix. No heavy metals \m/ or anything. Basically to have happy sps coral, I want almost nothing extra int he tank. Aggressive skimming, lots of substrate, and of course carbon and GFO running all the time. I also run a pellet reactor, that feeds bacteria that further cleans the water.

Josh

Im hoping my confidence to enter "sps" will coincide with you starting to frag those colonies :D

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Generally, they get to a point where I HAVE to trim or else things hit the garbage. That's why generally I end up with reasonably priced frags... :)