Salty's "new" 125

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well, I don't always do it every second day, but fairly close to it, and I think I get about 2 months or maybe 3 out of a box of reef crystals. So 4-5 boxes of salt a year or so. I slow down quite a bit on water changes when sps growth gets too high, but for now that's what I have to stick to. It's actually surprising how often people sell of boxes of salt, so I'll pick up a box here, half a box there, plus when pails wear out I'll order a pail. Of course boxing day is an excellent time to stock up :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yep, corals have started to show healthy signs of life. I will at some point have good frags of the following:
Fire and Ice Millie (lots of new growth tips)
Red Dragon (this colony is exploding currently)
Purple Dragon (not as much growth as the red dragon but still coming along nicely
Green Mystery (tons of new growth tips, good PE)
Dark pink Millie
DV Multicolour stylo (very hard coral, tough to frag)
RR Wolverine
DV tricolour acro
key lime granulosa (currently growing from beige to light white with purple tips)
ORA (true) red planet tabler
nuclear green candycane (I have a colony with 100+heads just have to trim)

Corals that are encrusting but healthy:
DV Rainbow Stylo
Strawberry shortcake
A coral sold to me as "vivid" wolverine but I have my doubts, will see what it turns into
Limeade nasuta (new buds are looking more like the colony originally from DV).
RR red convexa
Teal bottlebrush
supergrape millie
Sunset millie (still being stubborn)
Purple bonsai
Tyree pink lemonade
Yellow Kraken chalice
space monster chalice
Tyree branching cyphastrea

A few others that are in the "still too small to tell" state.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
They have a ways to go, I usually don't frag until I am fragging for the sake of keeping size down or keeping colonies from fighting. Everything has lots of room in the new tank, so they can become nice colonies. The bottlebrush looks to have growth potential. The strawberry has been a fight since I got it off bigshow a couple of years ago. I have no idea why it is so stubborn, but it currently has lots of room to grow, lots of light, good flow...it has everything going for it, I sure hope it's worth the effort.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Yep, corals have started to show healthy signs of life. I will at some point have good frags of the following:
Fire and Ice Millie (lots of new growth tips)
Red Dragon (this colony is exploding currently)
Purple Dragon (not as much growth as the red dragon but still coming along nicely
Green Mystery (tons of new growth tips, good PE)
Dark pink Millie
DV Multicolour stylo (very hard coral, tough to frag)
RR Wolverine
DV tricolour acro
key lime granulosa (currently growing from beige to light white with purple tips)
ORA (true) red planet tabler
nuclear green candycane (I have a colony with 100+heads just have to trim)

Corals that are encrusting but healthy:
DV Rainbow Stylo
Strawberry shortcake
A coral sold to me as "vivid" wolverine but I have my doubts, will see what it turns into
Limeade nasuta (new buds are looking more like the colony originally from DV).
RR red convexa
Teal bottlebrush
supergrape millie
Sunset millie (still being stubborn)
Purple bonsai
Tyree pink lemonade
Yellow Kraken chalice
space monster chalice
Tyree branching cyphastrea

A few others that are in the "still too small to tell" state.
one of everything pls!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
All this talk of test kits...ran the numbers on the tank again, and it has started pulling more calc and alk from the water than my daily water changes can replace, so upped the programming on the dosers. Will have to check magnesium levels tonight, then run all the little tests (strontium, iodine etc). It might well explain why the millies aren't exploding like they should be right now. Will have to watch and test for the next couple of weeks and see how it changes things. Calc was low at 330ppm and alk was 95ppm which is surprisingly low (which is why I want to check mag).

Phosphates are holding steady around 10 parts per billion, so the gfo is doing its job quite nicely. If I swap back to hi-cap I can likely get it back down to under one parts per billion, which is where it was when I had the best response from my sps.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
It's more "manual" than "automated". :)

I tell you, having the tank right in my lane of travel is going to do wonders for they care of this tank. Where it was before (main floor dining) I might forget about it for a week, the fish were always malnourished, and the glass would get crungy. Now the fish follow me as I walk past, hard to ignore them.

I see better results when I keep to a daily 5 gal water change but now I'm thinking it's the lack of alk/calc/mag that may be the culprit. Ah well easy enough to fix

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So started going back through old data (I kept a journal) of when the tank was growing like this:
11215701876_2ed2bfcc7e_c.jpg

...and I was basically cutting/trimming out of the tank daily and just throwing coral away there was so much new growth. So I'm going to go back to my old "good" habits and plan to run regular tests again, and load up on additives and coral food. Current chart is as follows:
sheet1.jpg

When tank was at it's best, numbers looked like this:

sheet2.jpg

So there likely lies the problems. Upping additives will likely do more than continually cranking out water changes (although I'll also stay up on those for trace elements).
Who said reefkeeping was easy?
11215820614_7d863e8fa8_c.jpg

(thanks to jroovers for the photo shoot "back in the day") :)